Simon Badham received a three-year football banning order.

Simon Badham received a three-year football banning order.

A SOUTH Tyneside football yob described as a “genuinely decent member of society” has been slapped with a banning order after a violent clash between rival fans.

Simon Badham avoided jail after admitting violent disorder following a mass street brawl between Sunderland and West Ham supporters.

The 21-year-old, from Frobisher Street, Hebburn, was sentenced to six months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years, with 250 hours’ unpaid work. He was also given a three-year banning order.

Badham was one of four men to appear at Newcastle Crown Court yesterday to be sentenced over the violence, which erupted outside Revolution bar in Sunderland on January 12.

Judge Jeremy Freedman said Badham is usually a “genuinely decent member of society”.

Also sentenced was Kevin Bilton, 51, of Lambton Drive, Hetton, who admitted violent disorder and was sentenced to four months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years, with 100 hours of unpaid work.

Sean Herron, 19, of Hogarth Drive, Columbia, Washington, who handed in a stash of testimonials to his usually positive character, was sentenced to six months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years, with 250 hours of unpaid work.

Shaun Baker, 29, of Gainsborough Square, Sunderland, was sentenced to four months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years with £500 costs.

All pleaded guilty to violent disorder and were given three-year football banning orders.

Judge Freedman said he accepted the men were ashamed of what they had done, and accepted none of them had been involved in the organising of the brawl by the Sunderland Youth Firm and rival supporters.

Shields Gazette

Wayne Riley outside Bolton magistrates court

Wayne Riley outside Bolton magistrates court

A PROTESTER has been fined after parking outside polling stations on General Election day with a ‘Labour paedo party’ sign on his van.

Police were called to Horwich Library in Jones Street on May 7 after the white van had been spotted there, Bolton Magistrates Court heard.

Officers traced the van to Wayne Riley and found it on the street outside his Singleton Avenue home — still with two signs stuck to the side.

Riley swore and became abusive to officers, who quizzed him about the signs, the other of which read ‘please do not vote Labour’.

He was arrested after police made repeated efforts to reason with him, the court was told.

Riley appeared in court yesterday representing himself, but was removed by security staff at the request of chair of the bench Roz Clarke, after repeatedly shouting down magistrates and court staff.

He left the court building and security staff were instructed not to let him back in. The case was then heard in his absence.

Giving evidence, Sgt Alex Metcalfe said: “I could see straight away that he was angry and belligerent.

“He was swearing and he was aggressive. Children of school age were playing out and they were within hearing distance of what he was saying.

“His behaviour, coupled with the signs he had put on his van, and the fact we had already been called to one incident meant I was alarmed at how he was behaving.

“There were children playing out and mums walking past his can. There was no option but to arrest him.”

PC Alison Casey said in her evidence that Riley eventually turned his abuse to her, saying “the police never do anything about child abuse”.

The court heard she might not have taken any action had Riley calmed down and removed the signs from the van — which was parked on the street in full public view — but he refused to do so.

Riley was found guilty of a public order offence of using threatening or abusive words or behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

He must pay a court bill of £1,255, comprising a £350 fine, £350 in costs, £520 criminal courts charge and a £35 victim surcharge.

On the day of the election, Labour councillor for Horwich Kevin McKeon said: “I feel sorry for a person whose bitterness can compel them to do something like this.

“I don’t think this will have any effect on voters today.

“I am of course disappointed that someone has done this but I am very pleased that the police have taken swift and correct action on the matter.”

Labour MP Julie Hilling went on to lose her Bolton West seat to the Conservatives’ Chris Green by just 801 votes.
Bolton News

A NORTH West Infidel protestor was caught on tape shouting racist abuse in Blackburn.

Clare Louise Arrowsmith, 38, of Bothley Road, in Blackpool, had travelled to the town to take part in the far right rally.

NWI

She pleaded guilty to religiously aggravated threatening behaviour and was given a conditional discharge for 18 months.

She was also told to pay £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

Catherine Allan, prosecuting, said Arrowsmith had travelled by train to take part in the town centre demo.

“She told police she was demonstrating against Islam because they were ‘grooming and murdering our children’,” Ms Allan said.

“She went on to express some extremist views about Muslims.”

Gary McAnulty, defending, said his client previously attended English Defence League demonstrations. He said there was no one else present except for the police.

He said: “This was the first time she had attended anything organised by the North West Infidels.

“They are a splinter group and very right wing compared to the EDL. It would appear there was no one there except the police.

“She was filmed making the comments and then went home.”

Lancashire Telegraph

CA

A volunteer soldier posted a comment on Facebook suggesting racist violent revenge should be taken on the day drummer Lee Rigby was murdered.

Mark Tonner wrote “Get the boys together we need to paint the town red with Muslim blood”.

He was arrested after a member of the public complained on the Lancashire Police website about what Tonner had written.

Tonner, 36, of Ashton Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to sending an offensive message.

He was bailed for pre-sentence reports and will be sentenced at a later date by Blackpool magistrates.

Andrea Fawcett, prosecuting, said after the murder of Lee Rigby in Woolwich, Tonner posted the comment on Facebook on May 23.

Tonner wrote “Dean, you’re in charge of Blackpool now. Get the boys together we need to paint the town red with Muslim blood”.

When interviewed by police Tonner said he had been angry and drunk at the time. He did not know Dean personally but believed he was a member of The English Defence League (EDL).

Hugh Pond, defending, said his client had been a member of the Army Reserve, formerly known as the Territorial Army, for more than five years and served as a clerk in the Transport Regiment at Grantham.

Tonner had been drinking heavily and had been revolted by the television pictures of the blood covered men saying they had murdered drummer Rigby.

Tonner, who was said in a reference from his commanding officer to have an exemplary character in the Army, was not a member of the EDL or National Front.

He was thoroughly ashamed of what he had done and was under investigation by the Army Reserve.

Blackpool Gazette

From July 2013.

MT 1

MT 2

MT 3

A thug who threw a bin and traffic cone at a Doncaster takeaway delivery driver’s car before he and two others set upon him in a ‘horrific attack’ has been jailed.

Kane Moffatt, aged 22, kicked the Mexborough man repeatedly in the horror assault, which he carried out alongside 20-year-old Philip Temperton and a 17-year-old boy who cannot be named for legal reasons.

The violent trio admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm at Sheffield Crown Court. Temperton was also jailed.

Just after midnight on October 4 last year, the 17-year-old chased the delivery driver’s vehicle down Mexborough High Street until it pulled up outside a fast food outlet.

The driver went inside the shop, but when he came out the three men punched him to the floor before Moffatt and Temperton kicked him repeatedly.

Another man, who had been in the shop, came outside to try to help the victim, but Moffat and the 17-year-old then began to attack him too. He escaped and ran back into the shop.

Moffatt then threw several items at the victim’s car, including a traffic cone and a bin, before the 17-year-old punched the car window.

The three then fled the scene, leaving the ‘distressed’ man on the floor.

They were arrested in November 2014 and entered not guilty pleas on their first court appearance in January.

But they changed their pleas to guilty and were sentenced on Friday.

Moffatt and the 17-year-old had also admitted common assault.

Moffatt, of Hawthorne Crescent, Mexborough, was sentenced to 16 months in prison and Temperton, of Arnold Crescent, Mexborough, was jailed for ten months.

The 17-year-old Doncaster boy was given a 12-month youth rehabilitation order.

Investigating officer Det Con Della O’Horo said after the court hearing: “This was a horrific attack on a man, and his friend who tried to help, for no reason whatsoever.

“The actions of these three that night are absolutely deplorable.

“Fortunately, the two victims did not sustain any serious injuries as a result of this violent assault, however the delivery driver has been extremely distressed by the incident.

“I hope residents in Mexborough feel some form of reassurance that we will not tolerate any form of criminality or violence and will do all that we can to bring offenders in the town to justice.”

Sheffield Star

Moffatt was jailed for Violent Disorder at the Birmingham EDL demo in 2013.
http://edlcriminals.com/2015/01/09/edl-supporters-jailed-for-more-than-75-years-for-birmingham-violence/

Robert Ewing (left) murdered Paige and Gareth Dewhurst was found guilty of helping to dispose of her body

Robert Ewing (left) murdered Paige and Gareth Dewhurst was found guilty of helping to dispose of her body

Robert Ewing sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering 15-year-old in Blackpool to stop her reporting their sexual contact to police

A man who murdered a 15-year-old girl to stop her reporting their sexual contact has been sentenced to life imprisonment, with a minimum of 33 years in prison.

Robert Ewing, 60, exploited Paige Chivers, a vulnerable teenager from Blackburn, Lancashire, for his sexual gratification and then decided to silence her when she threatened to go to the authorities.

A jury convicted him of murder earlier this month, but was not told that Ewing had previous convictions for child sex abuse.

Ewing served a 12-month prison sentence in 1995 for gross indecency with a 13-year-old girl, whom he also indecently assaulted.

Justice Jeremy Baker, sentencing Ewing at Preston crown court, told him he had carried out a “carefully planned and executed murder” to avoid the prospect of returning to jail.

The body of the teenager has still not been found, nearly eight years after she went missing.

Mr Justice Baker said Paige’s life was “in turmoil” in the summer of 2007 after her mother had died in February that year and her late father’s addiction to alcohol had worsened to the extent that he largely abandoned her.

He said she was “sexually promiscuous” and an “easy target”, which was recognised by Ewing, whose flat near her home in Bispham became “something of a magnet” for young girls as he allowed them to smoke, drink alcohol and take drugs.

The judge said: “There came a point when Paige Chivers realised that she could manipulate the situation to her advantage and threatened to report you to the authorities … the last thing you wanted to occur was for the public authorities to be acquainted with what you had been doing.”

Less than a fortnight before Paige went missing, Ewing contacted police to tell them that a “problem child” had turned up on his doorstep, having been thrown out by her father.

Prosecutors said he was effectively “testing the water” and there had been “very little reaction” by officials.

The judge, who labelled the defendant intelligent and devious, said he also wanted to create an “innocent cover story”. He told the court that the precise circumstances of Paige’s death may never be known in the absence of any explanation from Ewing, but noted that Ewing had been heard in a covert police recording saying: “You don’t mess with me. Quick hammer over the fucking head, then they will be sorry.”

Only three tiny spots of blood belonging to Paige were found by police in inner hallway of his flat in All Hallows Road, after a meticulous clean-up by the defendant.

On August 23 2007, Paige packed two carrier bags with clothes and left her home in Longford Avenue, Bispham, after a row with her father over missing money. Later the same day she was spotted at a nearby bus stop with the defendant. An extensive proof of life inquiry followed her disappearance but found no evidence that Paige was alive and she never claimed a “significant” inheritance left to her after her mother’s death.

Ewing murdered her between August 23 and August 27 and then persuaded his friend, Gareth Dewhurst, 46, to use his car to dispose of the body. The judge said Dewhurst had been a “willing, if not enthusiastic, participant”. Dewhurst, of Duncan Avenue, Blackpool, was jailed for seven years for assisting an offender and an additional year for intending to pervert the course of justice by intimidating witnesses.

Ewing, of Kincraig Place, Blackpool, was also convicted of perverting the course of justice by intimidating witnesses and providing false information to the police.
Both men denied all the offences.

The teenager was described as “a fun-loving kid, bright and funny” in a victim impact statement from sister Madison Gordon, which was read out in court.

She said: “Paige was only a kid when her mum (Sheila) passed away in 2007. I would say it broke us. I think it hit Paige hard because of her age.
“Every birthday is a reminder that Paige is no longer with us to open her cards and to celebrate with her.”

She thought Paige would have gone on to study hair and beauty and would have been “a brilliant mum”. She added: “Not a day goes by that we don’t think about her. It should not have happened to my bonny outgoing sister. We all have big holes in our hearts that can no longer be replaced.”

Police say they remain committed to finding Paige’s body.

The Guardian

Paige was reported missing three days after leaving her home

Paige was reported missing three days after leaving her home

The man who murdered Blackpool teenager Paige Chivers has been jailed for 33 years.

Robert Ewing, 60, was found guilty of murdering the 15-year-old in his Blackpool flat in August 2007.

Earlier this month, a jury convicted him, after the court was told he had developed an “inappropriate sexual interest” in Paige before he beat her to death.

Paige’s body has never been found.

Bloodstains belonging to the “vulnerable” teenager were later found by a police forensics team in the inner hallway of his flat in All Hallows Road, Bispham.

The murder was said to have taken place between August 23 and August 27 2007.

On August 23, Paige had packed two carrier bags with clothes and left her home in Longford Avenue, Bispham, after a family row.

Later the same day she was spotted at a nearby bus stop with the defendant.

An extensive proof of life inquiry found no evidence Paige was alive and she never claimed a ‘significant’ inheritance sum left to her after her mother’s death.

Less than a fortnight before Paige went missing, Ewing contacted police to tell them that a ‘problem child’ had turned up on his doorstep having been thrown out by her father.

Prosecutors said he was effectively “testing the water” and that there had been “very little reaction” by officials.

Ewing was also found guilty by a jury at Preston Crown Court of perverting the course of justice by intimidating witnesses and providing false information to the police.

Co-defendant Gareth Dewhurst, 46, of Duncan Avenue, Blackpool, was convicted of perverting the course of justice and assisting Ewing to dispose of Paige’s body.

Police say they remain committed to finding Paige’s body.
Blackpool Gazette

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 101 other followers