Two more violent rioters are behind bars after admitting throwing objects at people in a violent protest.

Michael Reilly, 53, of Teilos Drive in Bridgend, South Wales, and Gary Crane, 50, of South Row in Bishop Auckland, County Durham, travelled to Dover to take part in a pre-planned march on Saturday, January 30, 2016.

Fighting broke out when opposing right wing and left wing sides clashed.

Michael Reilly has been jailed for his part in the Dover riot on January 30, 2016

Michael Reilly has been jailed for his part in the Dover riot on January 30, 2016

The right wing visitors claim they were protesting in support of lorry drivers facing fines when migrants board their vehicles in France illegally. A counter protest was organised and took place in the town’s market square in support of refugees.

Kent Police detectives reviewed hundreds of hours of evidential footage captured on the day of the disturbance and witnessed both men throwing objects.

  Gary Crane has been jailed for his part in the Dover riot on January 30, 2016


Gary Crane has been jailed for his part in the Dover riot on January 30, 2016

Reilly was arrested at his home address on Tuesday, June 21, and Crane at his home on Wednesday, July 20. Both were subsequently charged with violent disorder and pleaded guilty when they appeared at Canterbury Crown Court.

Crane was jailed for eight months and Reilly for 11 months.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Kirsty Bricknell said: “Gary Crane and Michael Reilly are the latest in a long line of offenders who are now behind bars for the violent crimes committed in Dover last year.

“Regardless of the difference of political views involved on the day, there is never any excuse for this type of criminal activity to take place.

Kent Online

Simon Neve shared offensive images and posted the comments between July 26 and 28 last year, Cambridge Magistrates’ Court was told

A Cambridge man shared “nasty” and “offensive” images on Facebook, including one that said ‘keep calm and burn a mosque’, a court heard.

Simon Neve, of Trevone Place in Cambridge, commented on social media last year saying it would be “nice” if mosques were on fire in the UK.

The 46-year-old shared the images and posted the comments between July 26 and 28 last year, Cambridge Magistrates’ Court was told.

Neve previously pleaded guilty to five charges of sending an offensive or menacing message via a public communication network.

Magistrates adjourned the case for sentence at the same court until 10am on Tuesday, April 4.

Neve was released on unconditional bail.

Emma Howson, prosecuting, said: “The defendant posted pictures and comments on an open Facebook page which are considered to be offensive towards asylum seekers and muslims.

“In a post on July 26, the defendant wrote ‘I reckon a few mosques will be on fire tonight in France, it would be nice to see it in the UK too’.

“Another comment made by the defendant read ‘I think I’m going to kick off in France and mosques are going to be targeted, they are done’.

“In another post he wrote ‘It’s the only way the French are going to get any comeback’.”

Miss Howson said there were also pictures shared on Neve’s Facebook page of an offensive nature.

She told magistrates: “There were also pictures on his Facebook that said ‘keep calm and burn a mosque’.

“This is clearly a hate crime offence. The defendant has a number of previous offences recorded against him. His last racially aggravated offence was in April 2015.”

Neve has 24 previous convictions for 51 offences, some of which were of a similar nature, the court was told.

Monica Lentin, mitigating, said: “There is a basis of plea here; my client does not admit to creating any of the images in this offence but he does admit that he shared them.

“He does accept responsibility for creating and sending messages that we have read but that is the only thing he accepts.

He accepts that people would find these posts hurtful. It is accepted that these are nasty images and this is serious.”

Mrs Lentin said magistrates may feel the offence crosses the custody threshold, but that it would be proper to adjourn the case for reports.

She added: “My client has a long history of mental health problems. He also suffers from personality disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

“He is also on no end of prescribed opiate medication.”

Cambridge News

Brutal Damian Sweet and Liam Snaith have been jailed for 10 years after leaving the victim with his ‘ear hanging off’ in shocking attack

L-R; Damian Sweet and Liam Snaith, who have both been jailed for 10 years for false imprisonment and GBH with intent

L-R; Damian Sweet and Liam Snaith, who have both been jailed for 10 years for false imprisonment and GBH with intent

Two savage thugs tied up a man, slashed him with knives and poured vodka in his eyes during an horrific episode of violence in the victim’s own home.

Sick Damian Sweet and Liam Snaith left Jordan Hopkins with his ear “hanging off” and in need of stitches and staples when they subjected him to the sickening onslaught for no reason.

The pair had turned up with a bottle of Frosty Jacks cider at the victim’s home one night last August and he let them in thinking they were his friends, a court heard.

But, they soon turned violent and bound the 23-year-old with cables before launching their sickening attack.

During the shocking ordeal, Mr Hopkins was slashed with a Stanley knife, kicked, punched, taunted, humiliated, headbutted and had booze poured in his eyes, a court was told.

When they finally stopped, the victim, who had been in and out of consciousness, was left with swelling, cuts and bruises on his face and body, a bite mark on his arm and a broken collarbone.

He was taken to hospital and treated with staples, stitches and glue.

Now, Sweet, 19, and Snaith, 23, both of Whitehead Street, South Shields, have been jailed for 10 years each after pleading guilty to false imprisonment and causing grievous bodily harm with intent at Newcastle Crown Court.

Sentencing them, Judge Penny Moreland said: “This was a sustained assault by the two of you on him and you used a weapon to cause him injury.

“There are a number of aggravating factors, you were both under the influence of drink or drugs, there were two of you in his flat, attacking him together, this occurred in the complainant’s own home and it included gratuitous degradation by squirting and drenching him with drink.”

In a victim statement, Mr Hopkins told the court that, after the attack, his eyes had been so swollen, he could hardly see and he’d been left suffering from nightmares and flashbacks.

He said: “My right ear was sliced and cut so it was hanging off and had to be glued.”

Mr Hopkins added: “I am forever looking over my shoulder.

“I have flashbacks of the assault when I go to bed, nightmares of the ordeal and I wake up in a cold sweat. The people that attacked me were supposed to be my friends. Now, I find it hard to trust anyone.”

The court heard Mr Hopkins’ physical and mental health have also suffered because of the attack.

Mark Guiliani, prosecuting, said the incident happened on August 6 when Mr Hopkins had been out with friends and was about to go to bed.

His attackers, who he had got along with as pals in the past, then turned up carrying the Frosty Jack cider.

Mr Guiliani said Mr Hopkins could tell immediately that the pair were under the influence of something and were acting “out of character”.

Snaith then locked Mr Hopkins’ front door and put the key in his pocket, the court was told.

Snaith and Sweet then used electrical cables to tie up the victim and bound his hands and legs together.

The court heard Snaith then produced a Stanley knife and slashed Mr Hopkins across the left eye after asking him if he “had ever been in a hostage situation before”.

Mr Guiliani said: “As soon as he did this, blood started to pour down the complainant’s face. The knife was then passed to Sweet.”

The prosecutor said Sweet then started to carve a pattern on the victim’s face and told him “you will remember me” before slashing his cheek.

Mr Guiliani added: “He said although he could feel the cuts, he couldn’t feel any pain. He contributes this to shock.”

The court heard the victim was untied and dragged into the bathroom, beaten, and then tied up again in the living room.

Mr Guiliani said: “Liquid from a bottle was squirted into his eyes, which caused him to clench his eyes. He thought it may have been vodka and coke, the liquid was dark in colour.

“Then, one of the bottles of Frosty Jacks was poured over his head. By this stage, the complainants eyes were swollen so much they were heavy, he was struggling to keep them open.”

Mr Hopkins drifted in an out of consciousness and was later taken to a different flat, where paramedics were called.

Paul Rooney, defending Sweet, who has no past convictions, said: “He says he is disgusted with himself. He cannot understand why he did what he did and he wishes to apologise to him.”

John Wilkinson, defending Snaith, who has convictions for disorderly behaviour, said: “He had consumed drink and a large amount of drugs on the day we are concerned with, which perhaps explains, though does not excuse, the bizarre behaviour he entered in to with his co-accused.”
The Chronicle

snaithSnaith

A disgraced far-right activist is facing jail for cheating the election system by submitting fraudulent nomination forms.

English Democrats regional leader Steven Uncles dreamt up fictitious names such as Anna Cleves and Rachelle Stevens – referred to by a judge as “the lady from S Club 7”.

The 52-year-old local politician, who has since resigned but remained an official in high office, was convicted of seven charges of using a false instrument with intent and two of causing or permitting a false statement to be included in a nomination form.

e was acquitted of causing or permitting the false signature of an elector to be included in a nomination form.

A judge told Uncles, who denied all the charges and represented himself during the trial, he should put his affairs in order before sentence on March 13.

As a result of the convictions he is now disqualified from standing for office for five years. He could also be landed with a costs bill of £10,658.

Maidstone Crown Court heard Uncles, of Shears Close, Wilmington, either put up candidates for election who did not exist, or real people who had not signed the relevant nomination forms.

Prosecutor Mark Weekes told the jury of eight men and four women: “It is the prosecution case in respect of local county elections held in May 2013 this defendant dishonestly tampered with that system.

“During those council elections he submitted nomination forms for candidates that were fraudulent. As a consequence, the machinery of the election was materially effected.

“The result was that electors who chose their candidate on the basis they could trust the system wasted their vote.”

As chairman of the party for the south east, Uncles submitted the nomination forms for candidates to become English Democrat councillors.

The system was open to abuse, as it was all too easy to submit people who did not exist.

“That situation was exploited by Mr Uncles in those local elections,” said Mr Weekes.

“He submitted a total of seven nomination forms that were fraudulent. Two are entirely fictitious.”

Following conviction, Mr Weekes said although distress was caused to those who were falsely nominated, votes cast for the party did not impact significantly on the election result.

But said Judge Philip Statman: “It undermines the concept of an individual going to exercise the democratic process at the ballot box of his or her vote, because there are individuals here who are fictitious.”

The case faced several delays caused by Uncles applying for adjournments – one being because he ran for the post of Police Commissioner in May last year.

He failed to appear on the first day of his trial on February 8 and was arrested on a warrant outside the court when he turned up the next day. He has denied breaching his bail.

Mr Weekes said although £10,658 was sought in costs, the actual amount was more than £24,000.

The judge agreed to Uncles’ request to be legally represented at his own expense at the sentencing hearing.

Granting conditional bail, including a tagged curfew, Judge Statman warned: “My view is that clearly in offences of this gravity the custody threshold has been passed.

“I give you that warning so that you can put your personal affairs into good order.”

Kent Online

Martin Corner, 36, was filmed attempting to break through the police lines and encouraging others to join him

Martin Corner. Image courtesy of Greater Manchester Police.

Martin Corner.

A leading member of the far-right group North West Infidels has been jailed for taking part in a violent demo against refugees in Dover.

Martin Corner, 36, was filmed attempting to break through the police lines and encouraging others to join him.

He was also caught throwing an object at counter-protestors.

Corner, of Radcliffe Road in Bolton , was jailed for two years after he was found guilty of violent disorder following a trial at Canterbury Crown Court.

He was among a number of people who travelled to Kent to protest against refugees during a march through Dover organised by far-right group Sout East Infidels on Saturday, January 30, last year.

corner

Violence erupted when they clashed with a counter-demo by anti-fascists.

Several people were hurt and witnesses reported how bricks were thrown during the clash.

Corner was among a number of people who had travelled south to join the demo against refugees.

He is thought to be a key member of the North West Infidels and has spoken at a number of its demomstrations.

Corner was jailed alongside co-defendant Thomas Law, 54, from Coventry, who was imprisoned for two-and-half years after he was was seen throwing objects and caught being verbally abusive towards someone who was not involved in the disturbances.

Law was also found guilty of violent disorder.

law

Police spent many hours viewing footage of the violence and attempting to identify those responsible, leading to the arrests of both men in March last year.

More than 40 others who took part in the riot have previously been sentenced.

Det Con Hilary Bell said: “There is no excuse for the crimes committed by Martin Corner, Thomas Law and the more than 40 other offenders who have been sentenced so far.

“They could have chosen to walk away but instead they participated in disgraceful scenes that caused great concern and anger for law-abiding residents of Dover.

“Hopefully all those now serving time for their actions will consider if it was really worth it, and think twice before displaying such behaviour in future.”

Manchester Evening News

Northumbria Police is warning those who commit hate crimes that they will be tracked down and put before the courts.

The warning comes after a man was fined £250 for wearing a racially offensive t-shirt in public which displayed an anti-refugee image.

44-year-old Peter Hunt from Ashington pleaded guilty to racially aggravated section 5 public order after wearing the offensive t-shirt in Eldon Square in July 2016.

Last week it was revealed that the North East saw a rise in recorded hate crimes between July and September last year, following the Brexit vote.

Northumbria, Durham, Cleveland and North Yorkshire all reported an increase in hate crime offences between July and September 2016, compared with April and June 2016.

DCI Deborah Alderson, from the Safeguarding Department at Northumbria Police said:

The important thing to highlight about this case is that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated either by the community here or by Northumbria Police.

Being you is not a crime but targeting you is.

Targeting refugees in this manner is a hate crime which is never acceptable and offenders will be pursued and prosecuted.

– DCI Deborah Alderson

ITV News

pete-hunt

Two more protesters have been jailed following last year’s Dover riots.

Martin Corner was jailed for two years and Thomas Law for two-and-a-half by Canterbury Crown Court yesterday (Wednesday).

Corner, 36, of Radcliffe Road, Bolton, and Law, 54, of Raphael Close, Coventry, were both found guilty of violent disorder following a trial.

They had travelled to Dover on Saturday 30 January 2016 to take part in a march through the town, where they were involved in clashes with people holding a counter-protest at the same time.

Martin Corner. Image courtesy of Greater Manchester Police.

Martin Corner. Image courtesy of Greater Manchester Police.

Kent Police officers spent many hours viewing all available footage of the violence and attempting to identify those responsible, leading to the arrests of both men on Thursday, March 31 last year.

Investigating officer Det Con Hilary Bell said: ‘There is no excuse for the crimes committed by Martin Corner, Thomas Law and the more than 40 other offenders who have been sentenced so far.

‘They could have chosen to walk away but instead they participated in disgraceful scenes that caused great concern and anger for law-abiding residents of Dover.

“Hopefully all those now serving time for their actions will consider if it was really worth it, and think twice before displaying such behaviour in future.”

Large-scale violence had erupted that January day when a march far right groups led by the South East Alliance was countered by a protest by Kent Network Against Racism and Dover Stand Up to Racism.

Their protest had begun with a peaceful rally at Market Square but several people at the rally, many masked, broke away to confront the far right arriving at Dover Priory Station.

The height of the violence was when the two factions threw missiles at each other at either end of Effingham Street.

Kent Online

Marin Corner is best known for his attempt to burn the EU flag.