Peter Gillett, 58, of Arundel Road, Littlehampton, was jailed for 12 weeks after being found guilty of sending a video that was grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character in West Sussex on May 9, 2017. He was given a restraining order and must pay £115 victim surcharge.
The incident subsequently led to a massive brawl that saw three men drive to the party and “brutally attack the children and destroy” a home
Three men who ‘smashed a Broadstairs house to smithereens’ in a brawl sparked by a girl’s shaved eyebrows have been locked up.
Ian McGill, 49, his son Charlie McGill, 20, of Dane Court Road in Margate and Colin Harper, 21, of Southwood Gardens Ramsgate were jailed today (December 8) after using physical violence and “beating up a party of young people and smashing a home to smithereens.”
The trio had denied affray and causing criminal damage but were convicted after a trial.
Canterbury Crown Court heard how on June 4 last year, a young girl had her eyebrows shaved as she fell asleep at a party, causing her to be “very upset”.
The incident subsequently led to a massive brawl that saw the three men drive to the party and “brutally attack the children and destroy” the home.
Prosecuting, Gregory Wedge said: “Injuries were caused and a lot of people suffered injuries that caused hospital treatment.”
Calling the actions by the men a “massive overreaction”, judge James O’Mahony sentenced Ian McGill, of Hereson Road, to three years in prison, and Charlie McGill and Colin Harper to 18 months in a young ffenders’ institution for affray and criminal damage.
Calling it a “brutal act”, Judge O’Mahony said: “There was a party at Broadstairs and Ian McGill, and Charlie McGill, with Conor Harper stupidly joining in, went to the house of one of the people concerned to teach them a brutal lesson.
“To use physical violence and beat up the party of people and smash the property to smithereens.
“Ian McGill had a knife and threatened to cut off the finger of a young boy. It was a frightening incident and an invasion of a home in the early hours and causing great damage.”
Pointing out that people who had nothing to do with the incident had suffered, he added: “What a great overreaction making people who had nothing to do with it suffer.
“Knowing that the young people there had nothing to do with the incident did not bother you and you did not care.
“Ian McGill, you were older but you drove the car there, instead of saying ‘hold on, let’s handle this some other way’.
“The young girls eyebrows was shaved which caused her to be very upset, but it was a massive overreaction.”
He also took into account that all three men had pleaded not guilty in the case.
Mr O’Mahony added: “You pleaded not guilty and tried to lie your way out of it.
“You said there was LSD being taken at the party but I completely reject (that).”
The courtroom, full of family and friends of the accused, erupted in a gasp as the sentencing was handed out.
Speaking after the sentencing, the owner of the home involved and mother of one of the children told Kent Live: “I am so relieved it is over. The judge was outstanding and told them off for what they were.
“My son was in the upstairs bedroom when one of the boys ran up to tell him they would kill him if he didn’t hide. My son jumped out from the first floor window in fear, knocking his teeth out.
She added: “At least three children jumped out of the window while another boy had a knife put to his fingers.
“They nearly destroyed my house and caused nearly £8,000 worth of damage. My living room was smashed to pieces and there was blood everywhere.
“They even said if the children told anyone they would find them and kill them. I am just relieved this is over.”
A man has denied preparing an act of terrorism and threatening to kill people attending a Gay Pride event at a Cumbrian pub.
Ethan Stables, from Barrow, admitted possession of an explosive substance and possession of documents likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism.
The 19-year-old appeared at Leeds Crown Court via video link.
Judge Peter Collier QC remanded him in custody to go on trial in January.
It is alleged that in June, Mr Stables searched the internet for material relating to a number of far right groups and, separately, information on the manufacture of explosives.
Prosecutors said he made made threats to kill in a private Facebook group, called “National Socialists Union standing against New World Order”.
He is also accused of carrying out reconnaissance of a pub in Barrow which was hosting a Gay Pride evening the same month.
He claimed to have panicked after attacking “on-off” partner Kerri McAuley but Joe Storey is a cold, self-centred and callous killer who knew exactly what he was capable of – and what the fatal consequences would be.
Ridiculous is the only way to describe Storey’s protestation that he did not intend to kill Ms McAuley.
Since they met on Facebook, some 18 months before Ms McAuley’s death, Storey had subjected his tragic partner to a string of assaults as he had other women before her who had the misfortune to have become involved with him.
A disturbing mix of drink and drugs coupled with an insane jealously combined to create a Hulk-like monster of a man who used his fists to resolve any problems he encountered in the relationship.
On previous occasions Storey, who has ruthless tattooed on one hand, had attacked Ms McAuley.
The results of his brutal actions were there for all to see after Ms McAuley posted pictures of her badly beaten face on social media.
He knew exactly what affect his brutality had on this slight young woman who was just 5ft 6ins tall and weighed just eight and a half stone.
But despite these earlier warnings and his insistence that he was change his ways, he continued to do exactly as he had before and attack Ms McAuley.
She never stood a chance. Storey ensured that.
As well as breaking her face he also broke her phone ensuring she could not get help.
Storey also made no effort to summon help for Ms McAuley who was literally left for dead by the defendant who, after taking a picture of his face covered in his partner’s blood, sought refuge at a friend’s house where he drink alcohol and tried to score drugs.
He even returned to the scene a few hours later when he again refused to help Ms McAuley or report what had happened, instead allowing her mother and brother to make the horrific discovery.
He has continued to taunt and torment Ms McAuley’s family throughout the court process, from the moment he smiled at them during his first appearance at Norwich Magistrates to his non-appearance at Norwich Crown Court yesterday on the day he was due to be sentenced.
Like Ms McAuley they too are victims of this callous, arrogant, heartless and ultimately cowardly killer.
Joe Storey will serve a minimum of 24 years in jail after being found guilty of murdering his former partner Kerri McAuley following a “sustained and brutal” attack in her Norwich home.
The body of the 32-year-old was found at Southalls Way, Norwich, on Sunday, January 8.
Norwich Crown Court heard the mother-of-two suffered 19 separate injuries to her face, including fractured eye sockets, cheek bones and jaw following a sustained attack.
Her on-off partner Storey, 27, formerly of Murrells Court,Norwich, had gone on trial after having denied murder although he had admitted manslaughter.
But Storey was today given a life sentence with a minimum term of 24 years before he is considered eligible for parole after a jury of seven men and five women had taken an hour to find him guilty of murder.
Jailing Storey Judge Stephen Holt described it as “one of the worst cases of domestic violence that have come before these courts”.
Simon Spence QC, prosecuting, said Storey had shown a “history of violence” towards Ms McAuley as well as “other women he has been in a relationship with”.
The court heard Storey had been the subject of four restraining orders against previous partners, including Ms McAuley.
Storey had been the subject of an order preventing him from contacting Ms McAuley in October last year – less than three months before her death.
Storey, who has four previous convictions covering 11 offences, had been jailed for offences against previous partners.
He was jailed for four years in 2011 for two offences of assault occasioning actual bodily harm against two previous partners including one who was thought to be pregnant, who he repeatedly kicked and punched in the stomach stating he “hoped he had killed the unborn baby”.
The court also heard of another conviction for wounding on another previous partner who had a knife held to her throat by Storey during an argument in which she was also punched to the head and headbutted.
Mr Spence said the degree of violence used by Storey against Ms McAuley could be seen to be “sadistic”.
Other aggravating features to the case include Storey’s non appearance on Friday which Mr Spence said added to the “grief and stress” being suffered by Ms McAuley’s family which he said would have been part of Storey’s “motivation”.
As previously reported Storey had originally been due to be sentenced on Friday but failed to appear for the hearing after he told prison officials at HMP Bedford that he need not attend.
Andrew Oliver, for Storey, said while it had to be accepted Storey “failed to obtain assistance” for Ms McAuley he insisted the attack had not been pre-meditated.
He also said that Storey, who had admitted manslaughter, had acknowledged causing her death if not the intention to inflict her really serious harm.
A two-week trial had heard how Ms McAuley had been out in Norwich with Storey on the evening of Saturday, January 7.
At approximately 10.40pm on the following day (Sunday, January 8), officers were alerted by ambulance crews to reports of a woman who had been found dead in Southalls Way.
A post mortem examination revealed Ms McAuley had been the subject of a severe blunt force trauma to the face consistent with a serious violent assault. Speaking after the case Ms McAuley’s mother Lesley which stated: “My life will never now be whole without Kerri to complete it, as a family we are forever broken. My heart bears the deepest break from which it will never heal.”
Marek Zakrocki gave Nazi salute and shouted ‘white power’ before attack outside Harrow restaurant, Old Bailey hears
A Britain First supporter gave a Nazi salute and shouted “white power” before driving at a curry house owner during a drunken rampage, a court has heard.
Marek Zakrocki, 48, vented his anti-Muslim rage before the attack outside the Spicy Night restaurant in Alexandra Parade in Harrow, north-west London, on the anniversary of the Brexit vote on 23 June.
He was heard to say: “I’m going to kill a Muslim. I’m doing it for Britain. This is how I’m going to help the country. You people cannot do anything.”
The Old Bailey heard that the Polish-born window fitter then used his white van as a weapon against Kamal Ahmed and mounted the pavement twice. He was driving at 5mph and was in effect trying to pin Ahmed against the front of the restaurant window, which smashed.
Following his arrest by armed officers, police found a Nazi coin in Zakrocki’s pocket and a number of Britain First flyers and newspapers at his home in Harrow.
At the Old Bailey on Monday, Zakrocki pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and beating his wife. Further charges of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm and having a knife in Northolt Road, Harrow, were ordered to lie on file.
The prosecutor Denis Barry said: “Mr Zakrocki had plainly, during the course of that afternoon, had far too much to drink. During the course of that evening he assaulted his wife, drove off in his work vehicle, insulted a series of passersby and then drove his vehicle at the owner of a curry house, breaking the window of the curry house.
“It’s plain that his conduct is very likely to have been motivated by his views about our diverse society.”
Barry said Zakrocki had been “fixated” by Muslims and had made donations to Britain First in the past.
Because of the increased state of alert at the time of the incident, armed police arrested Zakrocki in a “hard stop”.
Barry said the defendant appeared to have a history of depressive illness and alcohol problems.
Earlier on June 23, he had grabbed his wife Ewa Zakrocka’s arm and threatened to “kill people” and then kill himself.
The prosecutor said Zakrocki made a Nazi salute, pushed an unknown Asian man and shouted “white power, white power” before ending up outside Spicy Night restaurant blocking the road with his van.
Following an altercation in the street, the defendant started the engine and twice aimed the vehicle at Ahmed, the court heard.
Barry said: “Because of the time that all this took place, the police took what had happened particularly seriously and there was a hard stop by armed police officers.”
He told the court that Britain First, formed by members of the BNP, was anti-Muslim and held views that were regarded by most people as “very extreme indeed”.
Judge Anthony Leonard QC remanded the defendant into custody to be sentenced on January 12. He ordered a report but warned he was considering a jail sentence.
A criminal gang has been jailed for more than 25 years after blowing up ATMs plus stealing a car and cas canisters in Bristol, Clevedon and Portishead.
Mitchell Barnes, Wade Gwyther, Kyle Joyner and Matthew Parsons were sentenced at Bristol Crown Court on Monday.
On May 11, 2016, they stole a car in Portishead and used it to ram a garage in Clevedon. The thieves stole gas canisters from there to blow up a cash machine in Yate.
Similar explosions were carried out in Shirehampton and Winterbourne in the weeks before.
Detective Chief Inspector Matt Iddon said: “This sentencing of an organised crime gang responsible for blowing up ATMs highlights our success in apprehending criminals determined to do whatever it takes to steal money.
“The arrogance of these men, in particular of Parsons, meant they thought they could get away with what they were doing. They couldn’t have been more wrong.
“As with the other gangs willing to put lives at risk by using highly explosive gas to attack cashpoints in the Avon and Somerset area, the judge has handed out significant sentences which reflect the nature of their crimes and which I hope act as a further deterrent to others.”
Barnes, aged 22, and Joyner, aged 23, of Wroughton Drive in Hartcliffe, pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy to cause an explosion. They received sentences of five and seven-and-a-half years respectively.
Gwyther, aged 22, of Kenmare Road in Knowle, was found guilty of the same offence by a jury and was jailed for 10 years.
Parsons, aged 27, was jailed for five years at a previous hearing, although he has another 10 years’ worth of sentences for similar crimes in 2015.
Det Ch Insp Iddon said: “Since the start of last year, we have been working closely with the ATM industry to make it harder for criminals to steal money.
“More ATMs across the force area have been fitted with equipment designed to stop these kinds of attacks from happening, including armoured plating, while many also now have forensic water dispersal units installed which spray offenders with an indelible liquid.
“These measures either make the cash cassettes harder to access or make it easier to identify those involved in such attacks and I think they have had a noticeable effect.”