Archive

Tag Archives: burnley

Billy Rambadt

Billy Rambadt

A TROUBLEMAKER who caused mayhem in and around Burnley matches for nearly three years has been banned from attending any football game in the UK for the foreseeable future.

Billy Rambadt, 19, will not be able to follow Burnley home or away, or attend any football ground until the end of January 2019 under a football banning order imposed by Pennine magistrates.

He will also be prevented from going within a mile of Turf Moor on matchdays or be caught on a train en-route to an England international over the next three years.

Not only was he spotted as part of the major public disorder, following the Clarets’ clash with Sheffield Wednesday in 2013. but he was involved in a number of other confrontations with either police or stewards, according to football intelligence officers.

The teenager was ejected from the ground in 2015, after being abusive to stewards, was seen behaving in an anti-social manner when Burnley played Chelsea in the Premier League, and was also involved in public disorder at the Southampton game in 2014, the court heard.

Rambadt, of Elim View, off Marsden Road, Burnley, who was represented in court by Mark Williams, was also ordered to pay £200 costs to Lancashire Constabulary.

Several other football banning order cases are understood to be in the pipeline.

Speaking after the case, Chief Insp Phil Hutchinson said: “The majority of people who attend football matches are law abiding fans who simply want to watch a good match and enjoy the experience.

“However there are still a very small minority of people intent on causing trouble and it is our intention to do everything within our power to stop them.

“We are pleased to have secured this banning order and hope that this firm action sends a clear message to others who attend football matches that violence, disorder and anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated.”

The banning order prevents Rambadt from being within the vicinity of Turf Moor for four hours before and after any match kicks off. He must also notify the police if any of his personal details change.

Lancashire Telegraph

BR 1

BR 2

BR 3

BR 4

Advertisements
Clayton

Clayton

Lord

Lord

TWO members of a gang who confronted a group of Asian men, racially abusing them, hurling sticks and shouting ‘EDL’ taunts, have been jailed.

Burnley Crown Court heard how in the early hours clash on Church Street in the town, bricks were wielded, a restaurant boss was attacked and a terrified girl was hit in the face and knocked to the ground by a missile thrown by one of her own group.

The violence, on September 15, was captured on CCTV.

Two of those involved Wayne Lord, 20, and Declan Clayton,19, were both sent to detention. The trouble was said to have been led by a 16-year-old, who was earlier spared custody at the lower court.

Clayton, of Chapelhouse Road, Nelson, was sent down for eight months. He had been at the forefront of the melee, had been brandishing a weapon and repeatedly surged forward.

Lord, of Sedburgh Street, Burnley, who has in past been made the subject of and flouted an anti-social behaviour order, received six months. He has three racially aggravated offences to his name and had goaded the other group. The pair had admitted affray and had been sent for sentence by Pennine magistrates.

Roger Baldwin, prosecuting, said a group of Asian males were walking home from a restaurant about 12.15am, when a gang of white youths, including three females, on the opposite side of the road, started shouting abuse.

The group challenged the men to a fight, running towards them with sticks and bricks, shouting ‘EDL’ and racially abusing them.

Mr Baldwin said Clayton and the 16-year-old were leading members, they seemed to be the main aggressors at that stage and the Asians were defending themselves. The 16-year-old had received a 12 month youth rehabilitation order.

Sentencing, Recorder Stuart Driver, QC, said he had seen the CCTV footage and it was clear the actions of the defendants’ group were mainly aggressive and the other group was mainly defensive.

Recorder Driver said: “The fact that it was a clash of people from different racial or ethnic groups is itself an aggravating feature.”

Lancashire Telegraph

The group barricaded Tory MEP Sajjad Karim’s house, shouting abuse and holding EDL placards with Mr Karim, his wife and their two children still inside.

Before police made it to the scene they continued on a ‘flash demonstrations’ rampage around Lancashire

Violence later broke out in Brierfield where a 17-year-old Asian man was floored in the street and one man was run over.

Bernard Holmes, an English Defence League commander has been jailed for leading a mob of EDL members to the house of a Muslim MEP

Bernard Holmes, an English Defence League commander has been jailed for leading a mob of EDL members to the house of a Muslim MEP

A ‘commander’ in the English Defence League who led a mob of 40 people to barricade the home of Conservative MEP Sajjad Karim has been jailed for 18 months.

Bernard Holmes, 28, was arrested after members of far right group converged on the property of Mr Karim whilst his wife and two young children were at home.

Claiming they wanted to deliver a letter, invaded the politician’s driveway and were said to have behaving in an ‘intimidating, threatening manner’ and shouting abuse whilst holding up placards from the EDL.

Police were called to the house in Burnley but were too late as the mob had already moved on to carry out a string of ‘flash demonstrations’ in Blackburn and nearby towns led by Holmes.

This is not the first time Mr Karim has experienced harassment from far-right groups like the EDL: In 2010, Mr Karim said he was forced to hire a private security firm for round the clock protection due to threats.

Mr Karim, MEP for North West, said he believed he was targeted for religious reasons because the EDL have an ‘anti-Islamic agenda’.

Mr Holmes, who goes under the nickname ‘Mr B’ is the EDL Blackburn division’s ‘commander’ and led the operation on July 2 last year.

Holmes, from Blackburn pleaded guilty to racially aggravated public order offences and was also given a five year CRASBO on top of his 18 month prison sentence at Preston Crown Court today.

The court heard how the group gathered outside 41-year old Mr Karim’s house at lunchtime in July last year to stage an anti-Islamic protest allegedly regarding EU proposals on the labelling of Halal meat.

The demonstrators carrying placards reportedly went into Mr Karim’s garden and began shouting abuse at him, before peering through his windows and filming his house

Mr Karim was in the house with his wife, Zahida, and two children, 10-year-old Bilal, and Rabia, eight, at the time of the protest.

At the time Mr Karim said: ‘It was very intimidating experience for us. They were all over my driveway and looking into my house.

‘I had my family in the house and it is just disgusting that they were able to do this. My daughter has been left petrified’

Mr Karim, who defected from the Liberal Democrats in 2007, said the group had gone to his house in Burnley, claiming that one member had wanted to deliver a letter to him.

He said people normally used a stamp or arranged to deliver the letter to his parliamentary address.

‘That really was a pretence,’ he said.

‘Their intention was to intimidate, to cause fright to my family and that is why they went about things in the way they did.’

Holmes had a history of violence and in 2010 was jailed for two years and four months after he beat up a man outside a nightclub and left him brain damaged.

After Mr Holmes and the group left Mr Karim’s fighting broke out in nearby Brierfield town centre.

Members of EDL attacked a 17-year-old called Azhar Iqbal and nearby a man was run down by an EDL supporter’s car.

Three people were jailed and seven others were given non custodial sentences for the events in Brierfield town centre. Two other people failed to appear at court and warrants have been issued for their arrest.

It has been confirmed that Bernard Holmes was involved in the general violence but not in these specific events

Lawyers representing them insisted there was no pre-meditated plan to cause trouble in Brierfield.

Supt Steve Pemberton of Lancashire said he was pleased with the convictions and the sentences imposed.

‘This was a spontaneous incident on a busy Saturday afternoon which could have been much more serious than it fortunately was had it not been for the speedy police response and that of local community leaders who were able to quell any subsequent rise in tensions.

Daily Mail