Archive

Tag Archives: Cambridge

Prolific burglar Jacob O’Dell threatened to rape children and chop off a person’s head with an axe.

This is the first picture of a prolific burglar who threatened to rape children and chop off a person’s head with an axe.

Jacob O’Dell, 21, was sentenced for a raft of crimes on Monday (October 9) including charges of using threatening and abusive words to cause harassment, racially related harassment, three burglaries, thefts from cars and shops, attempted theft, criminal damage of his grandmother’s home and driving offences for driving without insurance and not in accordance with a licence.

O’Dell was sentenced for 14 separate offences and given credit for his guilty pleas for all charges.

He was jailed for a total of 30 months in prison, and also given eight penalty points on his driver’s licence.

The court heard that on one occasion O’Dell hurled abuse at a passing cyclist in St Andrew’s Street.

After a confrontation O’Dell shouted: “I’m going to stab you and chop your head off with an axe.”

Jacob O'Dell, who has been sentenced to 30 months for a raft of offences

Jacob O’Dell, who has been sentenced to 30 months for a raft of offences

Whilst in custody in May 2017 O’Dell urinated all over the floor of his cell before threatening to rape supervising officer, PC Tumber’s children, saying: “You f***ing p*ki c**t I’ll rape your kids.

“EDL mate, go back to your own country.”

During sentencing Judge Cooper called the abuse hurled at PC Tumber “vile”.

Mr Snelling, mitigating for the defence, said O’Dell lashed out because he was frustrated at being detained after he joked about concealing drugs.

Mr Snelling said: “Mr O’Dell said he had five Kinder eggs worth of drugs in his rectum, this was a joke he thought would be funny to tell police.

“It was not true.”

On previous occasions O’Dell also threatened to kill a security guard after he was caught attempting to shoplift.

O’Dell was also sentenced for burglary after he smashed his way into a house and stole priceless family heirlooms leaving his victims “feeling sick”.

He also admitted to two other burglaries from 2012.

On another occasion in April 2017, O’Dell barged into his grandmother’s house and demanded to know where his axe was and asked for money.

Worried, his grandmother left her house before getting a phone call from O’Dell to tell her he’d “kicked all the doors in”.

When she returned two of her doors were broken and had been ripped off their hinges.

Mr Snelling said O’Dell committed his crimes to “fit in” and that he is of “limited thinking skills”.

Cambridge News

Advertisements

Simon Neve shared offensive images and posted the comments between July 26 and 28 last year, Cambridge Magistrates’ Court was told

A Cambridge man shared “nasty” and “offensive” images on Facebook, including one that said ‘keep calm and burn a mosque’, a court heard.

Simon Neve, of Trevone Place in Cambridge, commented on social media last year saying it would be “nice” if mosques were on fire in the UK.

The 46-year-old shared the images and posted the comments between July 26 and 28 last year, Cambridge Magistrates’ Court was told.

Neve previously pleaded guilty to five charges of sending an offensive or menacing message via a public communication network.

Magistrates adjourned the case for sentence at the same court until 10am on Tuesday, April 4.

Neve was released on unconditional bail.

Emma Howson, prosecuting, said: “The defendant posted pictures and comments on an open Facebook page which are considered to be offensive towards asylum seekers and muslims.

“In a post on July 26, the defendant wrote ‘I reckon a few mosques will be on fire tonight in France, it would be nice to see it in the UK too’.

“Another comment made by the defendant read ‘I think I’m going to kick off in France and mosques are going to be targeted, they are done’.

“In another post he wrote ‘It’s the only way the French are going to get any comeback’.”

Miss Howson said there were also pictures shared on Neve’s Facebook page of an offensive nature.

She told magistrates: “There were also pictures on his Facebook that said ‘keep calm and burn a mosque’.

“This is clearly a hate crime offence. The defendant has a number of previous offences recorded against him. His last racially aggravated offence was in April 2015.”

Neve has 24 previous convictions for 51 offences, some of which were of a similar nature, the court was told.

Monica Lentin, mitigating, said: “There is a basis of plea here; my client does not admit to creating any of the images in this offence but he does admit that he shared them.

“He does accept responsibility for creating and sending messages that we have read but that is the only thing he accepts.

He accepts that people would find these posts hurtful. It is accepted that these are nasty images and this is serious.”

Mrs Lentin said magistrates may feel the offence crosses the custody threshold, but that it would be proper to adjourn the case for reports.

She added: “My client has a long history of mental health problems. He also suffers from personality disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

“He is also on no end of prescribed opiate medication.”

Cambridge News

A gang launched a “completely and utterly disgraceful” racist attack on staff at a Cambridge restaurant in the wake of the Lee Rigby murder.

Mai Thai restaurant, Hobbs Pavilion, Park Terrace, Cambridge: Picture Keith Heppell

Mai Thai restaurant, Hobbs Pavilion, Park Terrace, Cambridge: Picture Keith Heppell

The five friends – three of whom have been locked up – chased and assaulted staff, threw glass bottles and bins and hurled racial abuse outside the Mai Thai restaurant by Parker’s Piece as they chanted “EDL”.

They goaded two brothers into coming outside before attacking them while shouting racist abuse on June 6 last year, a few days after the brutal murder of Fusilier Rigby in Woolwich.

The manager of the restaurant, who did not want to be named, told the News after the Cambridge Crown Court sentencing they attacked Muslim and Thai workers – and then turned on some of the 20 or so police officers who arrived on the scene.

He said: “It was very nasty. They attacked staff for no reason who were trying to get on with their work and shouted racial abuse, which was completely and utterly disgraceful.

“I’m glad they have been given these sentences. These are thugs who have got nothing better to do and hopefully this will teach them a lesson that it’s not something they can get away with.”

Marti Blair, prosecuting, said the offence started when one of the group tapped on the window of the restaurant and made aggressive gestures to staff as they were clearing up.

She said: “A member of staff thought it could be some sort of hate race incident and he called police, which was reasonable given the Lee Rigby killing had only just taken place a couple of weeks earlier and there had followed a number of race hate attacks at that time.”

She described how some of the gang started pushing two members of staff, leaving the brothers with damaged ribs and ripped shirts.

They then threw glass bottles and bins at the door while chanting the far right group’s name and demanding they “go home”.

She said: “All of the witnesses describe how the group were chanting EDL and saying things like ‘go back to your country’.”

Joshua Collinson-Prime, 19, formerly of Victoria Road, Arbury, William Jacey, 21, of Brampton Road, Royston, and a 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, all admitted violent disorder.

Leon Jackson, 24, and Daniel Mooney, 20, both of Gonville Place, Trumpington, pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of racially aggravated threatening behaviour.

Jacey was jailed for a year, Collinson-Prime was sent to a youth offenders’ institution for a year and the youth was given a one-year detention and training order.

Jackson and Mooney were each given eight-month jail sentences suspended for two years and must do 200 hours of unpaid work. The young group have nearly 40 previous convictions between them.

Judge Gareth Hawkesworth, sentencing at Cambridge Crown Court, described it as a “thoroughly unpleasant racist attack” and added: “It will simply not be tolerated.”

One of the victims said in a statement read out in court that he was still scared for his safety.

He said: “These people know where I work and clearly have an issue with me and the colour of my skin and this is not an issue that is going to go away.”

Cambridge News

David camp - banned from Cambridge Islamic centres

David camp – banned from Cambridge Islamic centres

A man has been issued an Asbo banning him from going near a number of Islamic premises in Cambridge after he threatened to burn down a mosque.

David Camp, 35, of Thorpe Way, off Ditton Lane, Cambridge, was made subject of an anti-social behaviour order at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court yesterday after he was convicted of several racially aggravated offences..

Camp had previously admitted to posting a large number of offensive anti-Islamic messages on Twitter between April 1 and June 5. He had also admitted to three further public order offences following a drunken outburst in Mill Road on June 30 during which he shouted abuse at members of the public. During that incident Camp threatened to burn down a mosque, he continued to shout abuse at the officers who then arrived and arrested him.

He was sentenced to a 12-month supervision order with alcohol treatment requirement on July 12.

Following an application by police, a two year criminal Asbo was granted, banning Camp from entering parts of Mawson Road, Tenison Road, Devonshire Road, Mill Road or Whitechapel Road, in London. He is also banned from entering St Paul’s Road or Darwin Drive in their entirety, or from going within 50 metres of Omar Farouk Mosque in Kirkwood Road.

Sgt Matt Gadsby said: “We enjoy a rich and diverse mix of cultures and religions in Cambridge and David Camp has caused considerable distress through his behaviour so we are pleased to have secured the order in full.

“This Asbo is fundamentally about promoting public safety and protecting the rights of the community, and will hopefully provide reassurance that we will not tolerate either racism or anti-social behaviour in any form.

“Camp has now been given clearly defined boundaries by the court, and is aware of the penalty should he choose to ignore them. In publicising this matter we are now seeking the support of the community in promoting the effective reporting and enforcement of the order.”

Cambridge News

A violent car-jacker who tried to slash a man across the neck with car keys has been jailed.

Aaron Muxlow was sentenced to 33 months in prison after carrying out a series of verbal and physical attacks.

Muxlow, 21, appeared at Cambridge Crown Court for sentencing after previously pleading guilty to theft, criminal damage, using threatening or abusive words or behaviour and robbery.

Quentin Newcomb, prosecuting, said Nicholas Birch and Luke Banaszkiewicz were driving on Spril 12 to see friends at Arbury Court in Cambridge.

Mr Banaszkiewicz got out to meet friends and Muxlow, of Cambridge Road, Stretham, Ely, approached the car, grabbed the keys from the ignition and demanded Mr Birch give him all his possessions.

When Mr Birch said he did not have anything to give him, Muxlow hit him several times before Mr Birch fled and his friend returned asking for the keys, the court was told.

Muxlow then slashed at Mr Banaszkiewicz’s neck with the keys, leaving a mark, before driving off in the car.

On May 25, Muxlow verbally abused Neera Saini, co-owner of Derby Stores, Derby Street, when she challenged him over a missing bottle of wine worth £6.

He returned on June 3 and intimidated her husband, Karter Singh, because Mr Singh was following him to check nothing was stolen.

Then on June 10, he attacked a cyclist’s bike, falsely claiming the owner, Jon Clarke, was a “pervert” who had taken wine from his trousers.

When Mr Clarke went into the Mace store, in Green End Street, he heard “banging and scratching noises” and went outside to see his bike wheel buckled and Muxlow walking off.

Mr Clarke later returned to the scene with a police officer and they found Muxlow still there.

He was arrested and placed in a police van by Pc Linas Pekarskas but started hurling racist abuse at the officer, shouting ‘EDL’ .

Mark Shelley, mitigating, said: “When he is sober he is actually quite pleasant. When he drinks and takes drugs he is aggressive and unpleasant.”

Judge Jonathan Haworth said the robbery was the “aggravating feature” and sentenced him to a total of two years and nine months in prison, reduced by the 121 days he has spent in custody.

Cambridge News