Archive

Tag Archives: English Defence League

Trevor Vinson captured his abuse on a mobile phone

Trevor Vinson was given a 21-year extended sentence for filming himself sexually assaulting a three-year-old girl (Image: Dyfed-Powys Police)

Trevor Vinson was given a 21-year extended sentence for filming himself sexually assaulting a three-year-old girl (Image: Dyfed-Powys Police)

A man who filmed himself repeatedly sexually assaulting a three-year-old girl has been given a 21-year extended sentence for his crimes.

Trevor Vinson subjected the young child to months of abuse – which he captured on his mobile phone in dozens of pictures and videos.

The mother of the victim described the 38-year-old as a “monster” who had destroyed her family.

Vinson, from Tumble, Carmarthenshire , had previously pleaded guilty to six counts of sexual assault and three counts of producing indecent images of a child when he appeared in the dock of Swansea Crown Court for sentencing.

Catherine Richards, prosecuting, said that over the space of six months Vinson sexually assaulted his victim numerous times, taking pictures and videos of the abuse.

He also took naked pictures of the girl in various poses, and filmed her urinating.

The court heard that in one of the pictures the girl – who was three at the time – could be seen with her hands clenched, and covering her face.

The abuse came to light after she told her mother what had happened.

The prosecutor said that when police went to Vinson’s house on May 3 to arrest him, he asked if her could get changed first and managed to hide the mobile containing the incriminating images in the bag of a vacuum cleaner. It was found a week later.

In statement from the victim’s mum read to court, she said she had been “in a very dark place” since learning of the abuse her child had suffered.

She described Vinson, now of Valence Walk in Pembroke , as a “monster” who had destroyed her family, adding she was fearful that the images of her daughter had been shared online.

Paul Hobson, for Vinson, conceded it was a very serious case and that his client faced a substantial period in custody, adding the only real mitigation was the defendant’s guilty pleas.

Judge Keith Thomas told Vinson he had carried out “appalling acts” on a girl who, by virtue of her age, was extremely vulnerable.

He said he was satisfied Vinson posed a significant risk of causing serious harm in the future, and imposed an imposed an extended 21-year sentence – 15-years will be spent in custody, and six years on licence. Vinson will be on the sex offenders register for life, and be subject to a Sexual Harm Prevention Order to limit his access to children.

Speaking after the sentencing Dyfed-Powys Police detective inspector Elaine Bendle said: “I am pleased that Vinson has been sentenced and is no longer able to cause harm to the young victim or anyone else. This is a highly unusual case with evidence being obtained from such a young victim.

“The crimes he committed against this child were abhorrent and I must commend the detectives, digital crime investigators, police officers and staff who worked tirelessly to bring Vinson to justice.”

A spokesman for NSPCC Wales said Vinson’s crimes “will have caused untold damage to his young victim and her family”, adding that such abuse ruins childhoods.

Wales Online

Advertisements

Paul Whiteside took the girl to his mother’s house after she ran away following an argument with her family, who thought she was in a relationship with him.

An English Defence League activist who was being arrested for the abduction of a 15-year-old school girl “lied his head off” to police.

Paul Whiteside, 47, assisted the girl after she ran away from her home in Louth taking her to stay at his mother’s home in Derbyshire, Lincoln Crown Court heard.

Esther Harrison, prosecuting, said that Whiteside knew the girl through his involvement in the EDL and met her after school on a number of occasions attracting the attention of neighbours who reported the matter to the police.

Miss Harrison said “They had met through mutual friends involved in the EDL. She had on occasions travelled with him and others to various demonstrations.

“It came to light that she had met him on several occasions after school. He was parked outside and she was seen talking to him for perhaps up to an hour at a time.

“Neighbours were concerned and took photographs and contacted the police.

“The matter was raised with the girl and her friend. She accepted it was her and said it only happened once.”

Miss Harrison said that there was an argument within the family about the matter and subsequent to that the girl ran away.

“She ran off and was reported missing. It is clear she contacted the defendant. He said he felt he could do nothing else but assist her.

“They travelled to Derbyshire that night and stayed at his mother’s property. The charge relates to the fact that when she was missing he knew where she was. She was at his mother’s house and he did not return her to Louth.”

Whiteside’s mother called police the following day and her son was subsequently arrested.

Miss Harrison said “Nothing of a sexual nature took place. It is fair to say that there were some photographs on his phone of the girl. They show her in various states of undress and her in the bath. They were not deemed to be indecent images.”

“In his interview he maintained he had no knowledge of where she had been and the last time he had seen her was a week before.”

Whiteside, formerly of the Louth area but now of Skinner Street, Creswell, admitted a charge of child abduction by keeping the child away from her mother in October 2016. He was given a 10 month jail sentence suspended for two years with a rehabilitation activity requirement of up to 30 days.

He was also given an 18-month restraining order banning him from contacting the girl and a 10-year sexual harm prevention order.

Judge Simon Hirst , passing sentence, said: “She rang you and told you that you were in danger and at risk of violence from family members because of the perception that you were in a relationship with her. You agreed to take her out of Louth.

“You were arrested the following day. You lied your head off to the police telling them you did not know where she was.

“On your phone were photographs of the girl in the bath and in a state of undress. You have not been charged with those photographs but it is clearly a worrying feature of this case.

“It is clear to me that this crosses the custody threshold but given your character, the basis of your plea and the fact that you have effectively done a three month sentence of imprisonment I can suspend that imprisonment.”

Grace Hale, in mitigation, said there is no danger of Whiteside and the girl getting together again.

“He is now out of the area and has no intention of returning to the Louth area.”

She said he spent six weeks remanded in custody which is the equivalent of a 12-week jail term and added that he has kidney disease which involves him receiving dialysis three times a week.

Grimsby Telegraph

Nonce

Luke Atkinson incited girls as young as 13-years-old to send him graphic images and videos of themselves after contacting them via social media

Luke Atkinson incited girls as young as 13-years-old to send him graphic images and videos.


A “disgusting” paedophile from Retford who used social media to groom teenage girls has been jailed for four years and eight months.

Luke Atkinson, 29, pleaded guilty to sexual offences including inciting sexual activity with a child and possessing indecent images of children.

Nottingham Crown Court heard that Atkinson incited girls as young as 13-years-old to send him graphic images and videos of themselves after contacting them through social media.

When they decided they didn’t want to send him any more pictures of themselves Atkinson threatened and blackmailed them, saying he would post pictures they had sent him online unless they did so.

Nottinghamshire Police launched an investigation after receiving information from colleagues in Durham in April 2015 that they had received a report from the mother of a 14-year-old girl who had been contacted by a person on Facebook and had made inappropriate sexualised comments to her daughter.

The suspect was identified as Luke Atkinson, of Exchange Street, Retford.

When officers arrested him at his home in September 2015 on suspicion of inciting a child into sexual activity, Atkinson was also found in possession of cannabis which he was also arrested for and later admitted to.

After a detailed examination of Atkinson’s mobile phone, a number of other girls he had also incited sexual activity with were identified and, in June 2016, he was additionally arrested for further offences.

Five girls, aged 13 to 16, bravely came forward to give evidence against Atkinson. Two of the victims were from the Doncaster area, with the others from the Leeds, Gainsborough and Rotherham areas.

The court heard that the victims made it clear to Atkinson how old they were when communicating with him on social media.

One of the girls, aged 13 when she was initially contacted by Atkinson, told officers at interview that ‘her heart sank’ whenever he made contact with her.

She feared he would never go away as every time she had tried to get away from him he would come back again via a different social media platform.

Another victim, aged 15 at the time, said at interview that the only reason she sent graphic videos of herself to Atkinson was because he was blackmailing her saying he would post pictures of her on Facebook if she didn’t. She said this made her feel sick and disgusted in herself.

Atkinson, who was sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court on Monday, June 3, was also made subject of a sexual harm prevention order, a restraining order not to contact the victims and ordered to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.

Speaking after his sentencing, Detective Constable Richard Hewitt of Nottinghamshire Police said: “The girls who were subject of Atkinson’s offending were so brave to come forward and speak out, giving some very upsetting interviews about their traumatic experiences.

“They showed great courage in keeping it together during a lengthy court process and that’s great credit to them.

“Atkinson is a loathsome individual who threatened his victims into adhering to his demands.

“His actions were nothing short of disgusting but thankfully this sexual deviant is now behind bars.”

An NSPCC spokesman said: “Atkinson believed he could get away with exploiting children but has rightly been brought to justice.

“We hope the girls who bravely came forward to the police now receive the necessary help and support to overcome what has happened to them.

“Atkinson’s behaviour is another example of how groomers use social media to prey on children so it is vital parents and carers talk to their children about staying safe online.”

Advice is available on the charity’s Net Aware website or through the NSPCC and O2’s online safety helpline on 0808 8005002.
Lincolnshire Live

A pervert jailed for a decade for sexually abusing underage girls has been handed more time behind bars for writing a letter to one of his victims.

Dale Hewitt, aged 27, was branded a “low life scum” by the mum of one of the schoolgirls – who were driven to cut themselves or attempt suicide.

He was jailed last year for ten years for a string of sex offences, many committed after he plied his victims with drugs.

Hewitt, now at HMP Parkhurst on the Isle of Wight, wrote a letter which was delivered to the home of one of the girls a month after he was sentenced.

He appeared at Plymouth Crown Court via videolink to admit breaching the order banning him from contacting the girl.

James Targhidissian, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said she received a letter addressed to someone else, but clearly in Hewitt’s handwriting and directed at her, in August last year.

He added she told police she “went as white as a ghost”.

Mr Targhidissian said the letter was not threatening, enquiring about her and speaking about life in prison.

He added she went on holiday but handed the letter back upon her return.

Ali Rafati, for Hewitt, said: “He was not the person who sent the letter and did not authorise it.”

He asked why it had taken so long to bring the case to court.

Mr Rafati said that, with no response from the girl, Hewitt accepted he would not contact her “nor anyone else”.

Judge Paul Darlow said the letter had not been threatening and had not caused “serious psychological harm”.

He jailed Hewitt for three weeks, to be served at the end of his current sentence. Hewitt’s earliest release date is in four years.

Plymouth Crown Court heard last year that Hewitt slept with one schoolgirl and touched another indecently, often after giving them mephedrone and cannabis.

Hewitt handled weapons including a machete in front of the girls, then aged 13 and 14.

Manipulative Hewitt supplied both girls with mephedrone, or bubble, and sometimes cannabis before touching them sexually. He never asked for any money.

One girl told the jury through her recorded police interview that she was “wrecked” on drugs and alcohol, but Hewitt still had sex with her at his old flat in Clifton Place, Greenbank.

He later abducted a third girl aged 14, whom police found in the shower at his flat. The girl came to his home willingly, but Hewitt was under a duty to call the authorities.

Hewitt, previously of Marlborough Street, Devonport, changed his pleas during a trial to admit four counts of penetrative sexual activity with a child between December 2014 and February 2015.

He also admitted four counts of sexual activity with the other girl between April and December 2014.

Hewitt pleaded guilty to abducting the third teenager in February last year.

Hewitt was involved in a war of words with a weapon-loving thug who went on to murder innocent New Year’s Eve reveller Tanis Bhandari.

Hewitt traded threats with Donald Pemberton on Facebook – one of several men who helped provoke the random violence that night.

The jury in Hewitt’s trial were not told of his part in the night of terror which led to the murder of the 27-year-old builder in Tamerton Foliot on New Year’s Day, 2015.

Pemberton, then aged 21, and co-defendant Ryan Williams, then aged 22, were jailed for life just under 12 months later for the joint murder of Mr Bhandari.

Plymouth Herald


A serial criminal who launched a foul-mouthed racist attack on a woman wearing an Islamic head garment has been locked up for more than a year.

Peter Scotter’s barrister insisted it was no co-incidence that his client committed the offences just weeks after the Brexit referendum last year and amid continued political discussions

“playing the race card”.

Scotter, 56, of Beach Street, Roker, Sunderland, assaulted the mother, who was shopping with her nine-year-old son and husband, and said “you are in our country now” before beginning his tirade of racial abuse.

The force he then used to pull off the niqab garment in July last year in the Bridges Shopping Centre, Sunderland, caused her to fall to the floor.

Tony Hawks, defending, told Newcastle Crown Court that in the weeks leading up to the attack certain politicians and sections of the press had been “playing the race card”.

He said there was “no doubt that what he did was an ignorant and despicable piece of behaviour” and he was an “ignorant and ill-educated man” who “knows nothing whatsoever about Islam”.

But he added: “It’s no coincidence that this occurred within a week or so of the Brexit referendum. Where the press and politicians were banging the drum about taking our country back.

“They were playing the race card and, in the case of Ukip, a disgraceful advertisement showing a queue of refugees.

“He has to take responsibility for his own actions, but is it simply a coincidence that after listening to weeks of that rhetoric the defendant was not affected?”

Prosecutor Neil Pallister told the court that Scotter was escorted out of the centre by a security guard after the assault but refused to comply with two police community support officers and continued the torrent of abuse.

At a previous hearing he admitted racially aggravated assault by beating and racially aggravated harassment.

He has also been receiving treatment for cancer in his mouth, meaning Monday’s sentencing hearing was postponed a number of times.

The court heard he had 70 previous convictions, including throwing bricks with racist stickers on them at a house with refugees inside.

Mr Pallister said the victim described how she regularly suffers abuse but that this was way beyond what she and her family normally endured.

She said it had left her fearful to go out and “disgusted” that it had happened in front of her son.

Members of the public who ran to her help spoke of their shock and one shop assistant said she was moved to tears.

Jailing Scotter for 15 months, Judge Stephen Earl said he had used “appalling language” in a public place.

He said: “Comments such as these cannot be acceptable in a civilised society.”

He also ordered him to pay a victim surcharge of £140.

Sunderland Echo

A man who pulled a niqab off a woman’s face and called her a “stupid” Muslim has been jailed for 15 months.

Peter Scotter shouted “You are in our country now” when he attacked his victim, who was with her young son, at a Sunderland shopping centre last July.

The 56-year-old, of Beach Street, Roker, had admitted racially aggravated assault by beating and racially aggravated harassment.

He was sentenced at Newcastle Crown Court.

The judge said it was “appalling abusive behaviour grounded in religious bigotry”.

At an earlier hearing, the court was told the victim, 29, was standing outside the Bridges shopping centre when Scotter grabbed her veil and almost threw her to the ground.

After his arrest, he said: “She could have been a bomber.”

His victim was left feeling as if she could not go out, prosecutor Laura Lax said.

Tony Hawks, defending, said Scotter had recently been diagnosed with a cancerous tumour under his tongue and was due to undergo surgery.

He had 66 previous convictions, including actual bodily harm and racially aggravated criminal damage.
BBC News