Archive

Tag Archives: football banning order

A new father from Whitchurch punched his partner while she was in a hospital delivery room giving birth to their child, a court heard.

The following day she was kicked and punched by 24-year-old Myles Davies outside her home which left her with a broken wrist.

The victim also suffered bruising to her legs and body in the assault less than 24 hours after giving birth. That morning, Davies had complained the victim rocking the child’s cradle kept him awake.

The police and social services had already been alerted when the victim was punched on the shoulder at Telford’s Princess Royal Hospital in the delivery suite.

At Shrewsbury Crown Court yesterday Judge Peter Barrie said Davies had been involved in ‘aggressive and nasty’ behaviour.

“Anyone who hears about this behaviour towards your partner and mother of your child would realise you are in serious need of help,” he said.

He told Davies that he was a high risk to the public and to partners, present and future and to children.

Judge Barrie said it was to the victim’s credit that she said in her statements that, despite being upset, she acknowledged that Davies had mental health issues and had not been getting the support he needed.

Davies was given a two-year community order which involves intense relationship and rehabilitation programmes.

The court heard Davies had been on remand for over six months which was equal to getting a 15-month prison sentence.

Judge Barrie said it was in the public interest to change the defendant’s attitude and prison was not the harsh punishment for him that it was for others.

An indefinite restraining order was also imposed on Davies for him to have no contact with the victim and any access to his young child was to be through the official channels.

Davies, of Alkington Road, Whitchurch, who appeared in court via a video link from prison, had pleaded guilty to charges of common assault and assault causing actual bodily harm on November 14 and 15 last year.

The court heard Davies had previously been jailed for assault when he was a member of the English Defence League, threatening behaviour at an EDL demonstration and a football banning order for being on Shrewsbury Town’s pitch while in possession of a firework.

Mr Kevin Jones, prosecuting, said that Davies was involved in ‘controlling’ behaviour with the victim at her home and had behaved strangely at the hospital delivery room causing staff to alert social services and police.

He said that Davies had struck her on the shoulder three or four times while she was in labour.

The next day Davies had issues with the victim nursing the baby, having a light on and having to feed the child and complained her rocking the child’s cradle kept him awake.

Mr Jones said Davies left at 2am but returned a few hours later and was unhappy that the victim had the baby on the bed with her and had complained that doors in the house were left open.

When Davies was later leaving he had pushed her back into the flat but as she tried to get to a relative’s car outside she fell and was kicked and punched on the body and legs by the defendant.

Mr Stephen Scully, for Davies, said that psychological reports indicated his client had poor self esteem, unpredictable emotions and insecurity and lost his temper when under stress and when he felt threatened.

He said Davies thrived in the secure and structured prison regime and was working to dealing with his mental health issues and the reasons for his offending.

Shropshire Star

Advertisements
Daniel Boylett threw a punch at Crystal Palace's eagle mascot

Daniel Boylett threw a punch at Crystal Palace’s eagle mascot

A Charlton Athletic fan has been jailed for throwing a punch at Crystal Palace FC’s eagle mascot during a football match.

Daniel Boylett, 36, was today locked up for a total of 21 months for violent disorder and the attack on bald eagle Kayla during an away game at Selhurst Park in September 2015.

He was also banned from going to any football matches for six years.

Boylett, from Eltham in south east London, launched his attack on the 25-year-old bird of prey during a third-round cup tie which had descended into violence.

The eagle handler was walking Kayla around the pitch on his forearm when Boylett swung the punch.

Last month a jury found Boylett guilty of violent disorder and attempted criminal damage for the attack on Kayla after a trial lasting two weeks.

On Friday at Croydon Crown Court he was sentenced to 21 months imprisonment for violent disorder and three months in prison for attempted damage on the eagle. Both sentences will run concurrently.

Boylett’s lawyer claimed he had acted in self-defence as he did not expect to see a bird flying towards him.

The eagle sanctuary in Dartford where Kayla lives today said they were pleased Boylett had been jailed and his sentence shows attacks on animals are being taken seriously.

Samantha Ames, one of the directors at Eagle Heights Wildlife Foundation, told the Standard: “We are feeling very pleased that it’s been taken seriously and we are glad it sets a bit of a precedent to people.

“The way you treat animals is taken seriously.

“We were shocked and quite sad when it happened. It was quite a sad thing to hear about because she’s an innocent animal and she’s so beautiful and has such an amazing story.

“For someone to try and punch her we were shocked and sad.”

Ms Ames said Kayla was fine following the attack but since then the club and handlers have changed the way she interacts at the football ground.

“Now they don’t really take her close to the stands,” she said. “Which is unfortunate for the other people. ”

Prosecutor Daniel Higgins previously told the court: “As he [Chris Belsey, eagle handler] passed the stand he noticed three or four fans were shouting abuse and one of these three or four lent over the barrier and threw a punch directed at Kayla.

“Mr Belsey is unsure if the punch directed at the eagle had landed.”

Kayla joined Crystal Palace, whose nickname is the Eagles, as a mascot in 2010. Female bald eagles typically have a wingspan of around seven feet and live for an average of 20 to 30 years.
Evening Standard

Jack Hart has been banned after trouble at the European Championships last summer (Picture: Facebook/Jack Hart)

Jack Hart has been banned after trouble at the European Championships last summer (Picture: Facebook/Jack Hart)

A football hooligan caught on camera hurling glass bottles at rival fans at the European Championships last summer has received the maximum banning order the law can impose.

Jack Hart is now not allowed to attend any match at any level in the UK or abroad for the next five years after he was caught up in trouble at the European Championships in France last summer.

The 26-year-old has also been barred from going in Blackpool and Fleetwood town centres on home match days. Hart, of Bramley Avenue in Fleetwood, must also surrender his passport to police within the next five days after Blackpool magistrates imposed the order yesterday morning.

When approached by The Gazette for a comment yesterday, Bolton fan Hart swore and said: “Russians attacking us and it’s the English that get banned. This country and its justice system is a joke. No back bone.”

The court heard how Hart, who had been subject of a similar order from 2010 to 2014, was identified from video filmed by undercover officers at Euro 2016 in France. He was seen throwing bottles as part of violence that led local police to tear gas England fans, and was charged under the Football Spectators Act 1989 for his part in the disorder.

Prosecuting for the police, Luke McGrath said the identification process had taken some time, while there had also been a lengthy liaison with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

Hart, who did not oppose the order or say anything during the hearing, must also stay away from Fleetwood’s Highbury stadium on match days, and cannot follow the team when they play away.

He must also tell police of any change of address, the court ruled. “Hart has to surrender his passport by reporting to Fleetwood police station within five days,” a spokesman for Lancashire Police said.

The ban on match days is in place three hours before and three hours after a game, the spokesman confirmed said.

He added: “This order will be circulated to local officers and the club, and Hart could be reported for any breaches.”

Sickening clashes between rival fans took place on three consecutive nights in Marseille, ahead of the England versus Russia game, while fighting also broke out inside the Stade Velodrome after the referee brought the match to an end at 1-1 on Saturday, June 11. A number of Russian fans were arrested and detained following the violence, while a number of English fans were also jailed, deported, and banned from France.

Blackpool Gazette

jh-1

jh

Reece McLaren, 21, has been jailed for 20 weeks and banned from all football for EIGHT years

Reece McLaren, jailed for 20 weeks for affray after football related attack in Halifax

Reece McLaren, jailed for 20 weeks for affray after football related attack in Halifax

A Huddersfield Town fan who repeatedly punched a group of teenagers has been jailed for 20 weeks and banned from all football for EIGHT years.

Reece McLaren, 21, of Darbyfields, Golcar, admitted carrying out the ‘totally unprovoked’ attack on March 19 last year at Halifax Station.

British Transport Police revealed earlier that day, McLaren had been drinking with a group of around 10 fellow Town fans in Leeds city centre prior to their team’s fixture against Leeds United.

But despite an official ‘dispersal’ warning to leave the area due to the group’s behaviour, they travelled to Halifax and continued drinking near the station.

McLaren later returned to Halifax station and spotted the Halifax Town fans who had been to a FA Trophy semi-final fixture against Nantwich.

He told police he mistakenly believed the teenagers were rival Nantwich fans and began to throw punches at them.

As one of the victims managed to raise the alarm and call police, McLaren and other members of the group jumped onto the tracks and ran off down the line.

He was subsequently arrested a few days later after he was recognised by an officer.

Pc Wayne Mitchell said: “After already being made to leave Leeds city centre due to his behaviour, McLaren continued to drink and then attacked a group of teenagers who were simply minding their own business at the station after watching the match.

“All of which have been left extremely shaken by his unprovoked and unexpected attack on them. Not only is McLaren now behind bars but when he gets out he will be unable to go and watch his team – or any other – for the next eight years. This should act as a reminder to other troublemakers about the potential consequences of their actions,” said Pc Mitchell.

“The vast majority of football fans are well-behaved but sadly, there is a very small minority – like McLaren – who are intent on causing trouble.”

McLaren pleaded guilty to affray and was jailed last week at Kirklees Magistrates’ Court.

He was already serving a 32-month sentence for a public order offence committed in Rotherham in 2015 following an English Defence League demonstration.

Huddersfield Examiner

A man from Northampton has been banned from all football games in the UK from being abroad when England play away following public order offence at a Northampton Town game.

Gavin Mobley, 27, of Northampton, pleaded guilty and was convicted at Northampton Magistrates’ Court for committing the offence at the Northampton Town v Peterborough United match on Saturday, November 19 at Sixfields.

He was sentenced at Wellingborough Magistrates’ Court yesterday, Wednesday 21 December, where he received a 12 month Community Order, including 100 hours unpaid work and costs of £85.

Mobley was also handed a three-year Football Banning Order, which will restrict his attendance at football matches in the United Kingdom as well as travel outside of the country when England are playing away.

Northampton Chronicle

gm-1

gm-2

Darren Brindley sparked a mass brawl by headbutting an Everton fan and arming himself with a crutch at a pub near St James’ Park

Darren Brindley

A notorious hooligan has been jailed and banned from going anywhere near football matches after fighting with rival fans in a pub close to St James’ Park.

Darren Brindley headbutted an Everton fan then armed himself with a crutch as an ugly brawl blew up on Boxing Day.

A court heard the 44-year-old has a long list of previous convictions for violence and has been banned from attending sporting events in the past.

He went to the Black Bull, on Barrack Road, as Newcastle lost 1-0 to Everton on December 26.

Newcastle Crown Court heard he got into an altercation with an Everton fan who was in the pub having been kicked out of St James’ Park.

Brindley, who claimed he was called a “Geordie b******”, headbutted the man, sparking a fight with other fans of the Merseyside club.

The violence then spilled outside and Brindley armed himself with a crutch belonging to an Everton fan, which he swung around violently.

Now he has been jailed for more than two years after admitting affray and he was also given a six year football banning order.

Recorder Jo Kidd, at Newcastle Crown Court, told him: “The complainant approached you, extended an arm around your waist and your immediate reaction to that was disproportionate, aggressive and violent, for you immediately turned and launched into headbutting him, an act of extreme aggression.

“Thereafter and perhaps unsurprisingly the other people who were his friends then began to fight with you.

“At some point between being in the bar and getting on to the street you took a crutch from another man in the pub.

“You decided to go into a public street armed with that in a heightened state of aggression and then launch an attack with that item on the people outside.

“That behaviour was not you acting in self defence, it was wholly out of hand and unnecessary.

“It’s clear you were not content to stay in the doorway, you pursued a number of those men across the road, still holding the crutch and you were brandishing it about.

“Whatever part the other supporters played, that presented to members of the public a scene of out of control violence that would have been terrifying to anybody in that location.

“Members of the public are entitled to be able to attend football matches without having to come across such acts of aggression and public disorder.

“You caused the public concern and terror, it was a large scale public disturbance.

“Your list of previous convictions makes unhappy reading and demonstrates a long and extensive record of violence and public disorder, including public disorder within the context of sporting events.”

The court heard Brindley, of Bolingbroke Street, Heaton, Newcastle, went to the Black Bull around 7pm on Boxing Day.

He had already had around six pints and said he was there to meet his cousin.

As he passed one of the Everton fans, there was an exchange in which Brindley claims he was called a “Geordie b******”.

Prosecutor Michael Bunch said: “The man continued in conversation with the defendant and had his arm around Mr Brindley’s back.

“At that point the defendant instigates the violence by the use of a headbutt.

“There is then a fight and Mr Brindley fell back on to some benches and the complainant was thrown out of the pub.”

Brindley went outside to square up to the man then came back in.

Mr Bunch said: “He returned back to the premises and took a crutch belonging to one of the Everton fans and came out and was brandishing it about.

“There was a brawl and he was swinging the crutch.”

Police then arrived on the scene and found Brindley injured but he claimed he had fallen over and refused to go to hospital.

Mr Bunch said: “The defendant was identified from CCTV.

“He is well known to officers employed as spotters in the football disorder unit and he was recognised from the footage.”

When he was arrested a month later he said “You mean when I was assaulted”.

He told police he had been out drinking and said comments had been made to him by the Everton supporters which made him feel threatened.

Brindley, who has 71 previous convictions, admitted affray and was jailed for 26 months and was given the football banning order.

Geoff Smith, defending, said: “There was a football match going on but he was going to the Black Bull near St James’ Park to see his cousin.

“There was more than one violent person in that pub that evening.

“He didn’t go there to become involved in violence. Mr Brindley’s instructions are he entered the pub with the best will in the world to see family members and he was called a Geordie b****** by the complainant. He was being abused and felt threatened.

“He was waving the crutch around at a large number of men from the Merseyside area but it was used in a defensive manner and no-one suffered injury as a consequence.

“His record doesn’t relate to football violence for the last ten years.

“He has two children with his partner and the most difficult part of what has happened to him is being separated from his partner, children and grandchild.”

Newcastle Chronicle

dh 1

DH 2

Dh 3

A convicted football hooligan has admitted his involvement in an attack where a bacon sandwich was thrown at a Bristol mosque.

Kevin Crehan, 34, of Stockwood Crescent, Knowle, was charged with a racially aggravated public order offence following the incident at Jamia Mosque in Green Street, Totterdown, last month.

In a five minute hearing at Bristol Crown Court he pleaded guilty to the charge, accepting a religiously aggravated offence to cause Nasir Ahmed harassment, alarm or distress.

Judge Martin Picton adjourned his case, pending a probation report, until March 24.

He bailed Crehan on condition he co-operates with the probation service.

Crehan’s bail also prevents him from going on the pavement outside, or within the boundaries of, any mosque in England and Wales.

The judge told him: “You have to understand this case carries custody.”.

On Sunday, January 17, a flag was said to be hung on a fence outside the mosque stating: “No mosque wanted here” and “Bristol United Patriots”.

Elderly worshippers attending the mosque were abused and bacon was thrown.

Self-styled anti-Muslim group, Bristol United Patriots, operate across the city but have publicly denied having anything to do with the attack.

It is not Crehan’s first brush with the law, which has included assaulting a police officer.

In 2010 he was sentenced to seven months in prison for breaching a three year football banning order.

At the time Bristol Crown Court heard the then 28-year-old was caught with a sawn-off pool cue down his trousers.

Crehan admitted four breaches which included failing to report to a police station during the World Cup and being inside an exclusion zone before a Bristol City versus Milwall match.

The court heard he had been banned from being within a mile of Bristol City’s Ashton Gate ground.

Crehan pleaded guilty to having an offensive weapon and stealing a DVD.

Regarding the mosque attack Alison Bennett, 46, Mark Bennett, 48, both of Spruce Way, Patchway and Angelina Swailes, 31, of West Town Avenue, Brislington have all been charged with a racially aggravated public order offence.

The Bennetts and Swailes have been released on bail with a condition not to enter or go within 100 metres of any mosque.

They are due to appear at Bristol Magistrates’ Court on February 25.

Bristol Post

BC 1

BC 2

BC