Archive

Tag Archives: GBH


A Forest Town man has been jailed for 14 years after police arrived at a house to find him strangling his ex-partner.

Joe Liffen was seen by an officer with his hands around the throat of the victim, who had lost consciousness, following a brutal and sustained attack, during which time he also punched the victim repeatedly.

Liffen, 26, of Cardle Close, jumped out of the bedroom window and fled after Nottinghamshire Police arrived at the scene at the victim’s home in Mansfield Woodhouse, in the early hours of November 15 2016.

Liffen admitted causing grievous bodily harm, breaching a restraining order and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice at a previous hearing. At Nottingham Crown Court today (Thursday 9 February) he was sentenced to 11 years for GBH, three years for conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, to run consecutively and one year for breaching a restraining order, to run concurrently.

His aunt, Samantha Bailey, 48, of Chapel Fields, Ravenshead, was also sentenced to 15 months in prison after admitting conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

The court was told Liffen had previously received an 18-week jail sentence for assaulting the victim in March 2015 and a two-year restraining order, effective from his release, banning him from making contact with her. Despite the order he repeatedly made contact with her and tried to rekindle their relationship.

Liffen had a drink and drugs problem and was a “jealous” man, the court was told.

On the day of the latest assault, Liffen told the victim he was going to visit his ex-wife in Manchester. She then went for a night out with friends in Mansfield and was given a lift home by a male friend, who came into the house to use her downstairs toilet. When she went upstairs Liffen was waiting for her and put his hand over her mouth and told her not to speak, before throwing her on to the bed and repeatedly punching her in the face and head.

The 16st Liffen then sat on top of the 8st victim and started to strangle her.

Her friend heard the ordeal from downstairs and phoned the police, who arrived quickly and entered the house while the attack was still ongoing, before Liffen escaped.

The victim regained consciousness but started having seizures. She suffered bruising to her face and head, neck and throat and had a one-inch cut to the top of her left thigh.

Officers tracked down Liffen later that day and arrested him.

The court was told that while Liffen was remanded in custody in connection with the offence he sent numerous texts to the victim, trying to encourage her not to turn up to court to give evidence against him.

He also colluded with Bailey in an attempt to make her miss the court appearance.

The court was told Bailey paid for a hotel and beauty treatments in Nottingham for the victim on the day of the court appearance before sending a text saying “I’m making someone disappear.”

Speaking after the case, Temporary Detective Inspector Nikki Smith, of Nottinghamshire Police, who led the investigation, said: “This was a vicious, sustained attack on a vulnerable woman who had no chance of defending herself.

“She is lucky to be alive after the attack and, as the judge said, if it hadn’t been for the fast response of our officers this could have had an even more serious ending.

“Both Liffen and Bailey also put pressure on this vulnerable woman to miss her court date in an attempt to avoid justice being done.

“Domestic violence will not be tolerated in any form in Nottinghamshire and we would urge anyone who is a victim or a witness to domestic abuse to call us and we will do everything in our power to bring the perpetrators before the court.”

Mansfield Chad

jl-2

jl

Ryan Johnson, 24, of Eversley, also sentenced for inflicting grievous bodily harm on a man

Ryan Johnson, 24, of Eversley in Widnes, has been sentenced to a total of three years and 10 months imprisonment for four counts of sexual activity with a child and one count of wounding/inflicting GBH

Ryan Johnson, 24, of Eversley in Widnes, has been sentenced to a total of three years and 10 months imprisonment for four counts of sexual activity with a child and one count of wounding/inflicting GBH

A WIDNES man had been caged for 30 months for sexual activity with a teenage girl and a handed a 16 month consecutive jail sentence for GBH.

Ryan Johnson, 24, of Eversley in Hough Green, appeared at Warrington Crown Court on Friday, November 4.

Judge Neil Flewitt sentenced Johnson to a total of three years and 10 months behind bars for four counts of sexual activity with a child and one count of inflicting grievous bodily harm (GBH) on a man.

The judge told the defendant he must serve half his sentence in custody before being released on licence.

Matthew Dunford, prosecuting, told the court that the sexual offences took place on Saturday, July 11, last year with the girl, who cannot be identified for legal reasons.

Mr Dunford told the court how the defendant committed offences on four occasions on that day and said that Johnson was arrested by police on Monday, July 13.

The prosecution said Johnson, who was 23 at the time, told officers during an interview that he thought the victim was 17.

However, Mr Dunford said that messages recovered from the victim’s phone between her and the defendant ‘makes it clear’ that Johnson knew the girl’s age.

A victim personal statement from the girl read out in court by Mr Dunford said that she had ‘suffered nightmares and regularly wakes up crying’.

The prosecution added that the GBH charge covered an assault in April this year outside a pub in Widnes in which Johnson punched a man who suffered a fractured jaw, later having to undergo an operation under general anaesthetic. A victim personal statement from the man read out by Mr Dunford said that he experienced ‘severe pain’.

Andrew Green, defending Johnson, who has previously been in prison for offences including threatening with a blade and assault with intent to rob, said his client has never had a ‘stable home’ and comes from a ‘broken’ family background.

He said client is also ashamed with the ‘label’ that is attached to him due to the offences he has committed.

Mr Green said: “Clearly Ryan Johnson understands that this has to be a prison sentence. The only question is how long that must be.”

Judge Flewitt, sentencing, said: “You have a number of previous convictions. It is right to observe you have no convictions for sexual offences but you have a number of convictions for offences of violence.”

The judge sentenced Johnson to 30 months in prison for the sexual offences with 16 months consecutively for the assault charge.

Liverpool Echo

rj

A far-right thug who seriously injured a photographer during the Dover protests by beating him with a flagpole has been jailed for seven years.

Peter Atkinson, 46, of Brunswick Mews in Birkenhead, Merseyside, is one of more than 50 people arrested so far in connection with disturbances on Saturday, January 30.

Shortly after 1.40pm, Atkinson and a number of other demonstrators started walking towards the photographer, who was taking pictures of the event alongside other journalists in a side road near Folkestone Road.

The man attempted to run but slipped and fell to the ground, where Atkinson repeatedly attacked him with the pole until it snapped in two. He then fled the scene.

A police officer came across the victim and provided him with first aid before he was taken to hospital for further treatment.

Photos were taken of the assault, which left the victim with multiple bone splinters to his elbow, and at 3.45pm Atkinson was identified and arrested. He was searched and found to be in possession of a small rock.

Chief Superintendent Andrea Bishop of Kent Police said: “My officers are continuing to work tirelessly to identify all those responsible for offences committed both before and during the demonstrations in Dover on January 30.

“Peter Atkinson’s actions were completely unacceptable and left a man with significant and long-lasting injuries to his arm.

“Kent Police has a statutory duty to facilitate peaceful protest but we will not tolerate anyone who comes to Dover intent on causing trouble.

“I hope the sentence Atkinson has received today sends a clear message to those planning to attend future demonstrations in the town that if you cause trouble and commit a crime, you will be tracked down, arrested and put before the courts.”

The far-right plan to head back to Dover on May 28 and 29.
Dover Express

peter ako

Shaun Jones, who has a lengthy record of violence, was drunk and high on cocaine at the time. His defence said he was ‘frightened of custody’
SJ
A far-right thug bit off a man’s ear – after being confronted for gate-crashing an 18th birthday party buffet and helping himself to food.

Shaun Jones, 35, who has links to nationalist protest group ‘North West Infidels’, has been jailed for four years for the attack.

A Manchester Crown Court sentencing hearing was told he turned violent after he and his twin brother were told they couldn’t have any more sandwiches.

Trouble flared in the Royal Oak pub, at Barton Road, Eccles , after Shaun Jones’ twin, Daniel, went into a side room where food had been prepared for party guests.

After Daniel was spotted pinching food for himself and his brother, the host’s brother told them: “Touch those f***ing sandwiches again and I’ll smash your face in.”

The pair ignored him and went back and helped themselves to more nibbles.

A 62-year-old man, who was the event’s ‘official photographer’ then challenged Daniel, telling him: “It’s for a birthday, you shouldn’t be nicking the buffet.”

Daniel reported this to Shaun, who the court heard is the bigger of the pair and has a lengthy record for violence.

Drunk and high on cocaine, Shaun reacted by thumping the 62-year-old man in the head.

As the victim lay on the floor, Daniel punched him about the head and kicked him repeatedly in the backside.

When the victim got to his feet, still holding his pint, Shaun Jones gripped him in a bear hug and bit down on his right ear.

The attack left the victim’s ear ‘hanging by a thread’, prosecutor Rob Hall said.

At the time of the brutal assault, Shaun Jones was subject to a conditional discharge after shrieking racist abuse at locals at a protest against a mosque development in Bolton staged by North West Infidels.

He was also subject to a suspended sentence for beating his wife, was on bail for another offence of violence, and was due to appear at the magistrates three days afterwards.

Shaun Jones of Cromwell Road, Eccles, admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent following the pub row at 9pm on May 30 last year.

His sentencing hearing was told his lengthy history of violence includes drunken and abusive offending, attacks on his wife, a police custody officer, and a pub landlord.

Bob Elias, defending, said Shaun Jones ran a successful removals business and was supported by his ‘long-suffering wife’ – with whom he enjoyed a holiday in Egypt shortly before being locked up.

“It was his brother filching food, he joins in stupidly”, Mr Elias added.

“He is frightened by what he did and the lack of control, his wife is frightened too, she knows how things can be when he’s drunk.

“He’s had an ultimatum from her, she is long-suffering, she has been abused by him in the past, but they are a couple and the most powerful influence over a rational human being is his partner.

“He’s not dangerous – he didn’t start this quarrel, he involved himself in his brother’s quarrel, and took matters into his own hands. He is in many ways a commendable hardworking man.

” He’s frightened of custody and the person he becomes when he’s drunk. It takes courage to realise you can be a Jekyll and Hyde character – that could cause the court to have a tincture of mercy.”

Daniel Jones, 35, of Anson Street, Eccles, admitted a public order offence for his part and was given a community order with unpaid work.

Defending the railway worker, who has previous convictions for drink driving and benefit fraud, Hunter Gray said: “His taking of the sandwich was not designed to be aggressive or provocative, it was only with the involvement of his brother who threw the first punch that the matter devolved into physical violence – but for that involvement it would have been no more than a scuffle at most.

“I suspect police would never have been involved at all had the matter ended there and then.”

The victim’s ear has since been repaired, although he suffers permanent scarring.

The court heard Shaun Jones breached his bail by using Facebook to apologise to the victim, who says his camera suffered £1000 of damage, but told court in a statement he had made peace with his attacker and did not wish to see him jailed.

Sending down Shaun Jones, Recorder Michael Duck QC said: “You were behaving on any interpretation in a pretty boorish fashion, you were seen to be taking food.

“(The victim) did his best to persuade you to try and desist. Anyone hearing the facts would be appalled – I’m told you have come to recognise the appalling havoc your use of alcohol has caused – this particular night was no exception.

“You know if you mix alcohol and cocaine you are potentially a very volatile man, you are physically a very big man, capable of causing considerable harm.”

Manchester Evening News

Peter Atkinson will be sentenced later this month

A Wirral man arrested as trouble flared at an extremist rally has admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Peter Atkinson was one of 17 people questioned by police after violence erupted between right-wing and anti-fascist protesters on the south coast.

Last week the 46-year-old pleaded guilty to the charge of GBH in a hearing at Canterbury Crown Court .

Five people were injured when rival protesters clashed during the rally in Dover, organised by right wing protesters, on January 30.

Smoke bombs were let off and bricks hurled as hundreds of far right demonstrators were met by anti-fascist groups.

The protests are thought to have included demonstrators who had links to the North West Infidels – the right wing group that caused chaos on the steps of St George’s Hall earlier this year.

Seven people were arrested during the clashes, among them Atkinson, of Brunswick Mews in Birkenhead.

Last week a handful of those arrested by Kent Police over the demonstrations had their cases heard in Canterbury where Atkinson admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

He will be sentenced at Canterbury Crown Court later this month.

Liverpool Echo

A RIOTER charged with violent disorder during the January 30 Dover protests had to be removed from the dock when he started shouting messages to his blonde girlfriend.

Judge Adele Williams gave thug Aaron Buttress, 26, short shrift when he appeared in front of her at Canterbury Crown Court today.

Buttress ,of Clarendon Road, Dover, had already pleaded guilty and as his defence counsel Natasha Spreadborough rose to speak he started shouting to the public gallery.

Dressed in jeans and a polo shirt he decided to defy the court by saying: “Love you. Come and see me.”

When he was reprimanded by the judge he said: “How am I disrespecting the court?”

He then swore at her. At that point he was removed by two Gurkha security officers.

Also appearing today was Peter Atkinson from Liverpool who admitted grievous bodily harm with intent over a live link and Roy Price from London who admits violent conduct and having a weapon containing a noxious liquid. He also admits possession of cannabis.

Price was remanded in custody as was Buttress. They are among 31 people due to appear at the crown court.

All three cases will be heard on May 16.

Dover Express

Soldiers targeted “naïve, trusting and innocent” pair during a drunken night out from Army camp at Sennybridge in the Brecon Beacons

John Ward, 19 and Jason Ferguson

John Ward, 19 and Jason Ferguson

Two soldiers who beat up a pair of disabled teenagers “for entertainment” have been jailed for at total of more than 15 years.

Jason Ferguson
, 18, and John Ward, 19, targeted the vulnerable youngsters and taunted them with jibes of “spastic” and “mongol”.

Their two victims, a 16-year-old deaf boy with autism and his 18-year-old autistic friend, met the pair on a night out near their Army base and initially believed the soldiers were being friendly, a court heard.

But the “naïve, trusting and innocent” pair were lured into a dark alley and beaten up for fun.

Sue Ferrier, prosecuting, told Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court: “What happened beggars belief.

“They were unlucky enough to cross the paths of these men who had been drinking all night and were heavily intoxicated.

“Their two victims were targeted. They were identified because of their particular vulnerabilities.

“They led sheltered lives. They were particularly naive. They did not appreciate they were being lined up with what was to follow – a brutal and sadistic attack.”

The soldiers were on a night out from their Army camp at Sennybridge in the Brecon Beacons when they saw the “vulnerable” pair walking home together.

A court heard they began targeting the pair for verbal abuse filming the insults on one of their phones. The court heard then soldiers then took one of their mobile phones to lead them into the alley.

The youngest boy of 16 was beaten and kicked unconscious by Ferguson as his friend was held back by Ward.

Miss Ferrier described it as a “shocking and sustained beating” which left him in a coma for three days.

Then his older autistic friend of 18 was then punched, kicked and hit with a terracotta pot from a nearby house.

But he managed to escape home to get help – leaving a trail of blood on the street as he fled.

The soldiers burned their clothing in woodland before heading back to camp after the attack in July of last year. Cowardly Ferguson hid under a truck when military police began looking for him.

One of the victims is deaf and the other is described as a “caring young man” who spends a lot of time indoors on his XBox and struggles to mix with people because he is autistic.

Ferguson, of Leyland, Lancashire, admitted two counts of wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm.

Jeremy Jenkins, defending, said he had had a wretched upbringing and had been abandoned by his drug addicted parents.

“On entry to the army at age 16 he seemed to have attained a degree of maturity,” he said.

Ward, of Oakley, Fife, admitted wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm and unlawful wounding.

John Ryan, defending, said had it not been for Ferguson he would not have done what he did.

He said: “He has brought shame on the Army and apologises for that.”

Ferguson was sentenced to eight years in a young offender institution for eight years and eight months and Ward for seven years at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court.

Judge Daniel Williams told them: “You saw those boys as entertainment and you saw their differences as reason to torment and bully them and beat them unconscious.

“Ferguson asked if one was Down syndrome. He has Asperger’s and that was enough for him to be labelled as a mongol.

“Ward was complicit. You said that you could see a good fight between Ferguson and the spastic.

“With him unconscious he was no fun anymore so you turned your attention to his friend. It was a chilling and sadistic attack.

“There was gratuitous degradation. Miraculously, there was no long term physical injury.”

Daily Telegraph

JF 1

GF 1