Archive

Tag Archives: National Action

The self-proclaimed neo-Nazi Brandon Russell, 22, arrested at the Key Largo Burger King last May after bomb-making materials were found in his car, was sentenced by Senior U.S. District Judge Susan Bucklew last week to five years in a low-security federal prison followed by three years of supervised probation.

At the time of Russell’s arrest, he was found to be carrying fuses, an M&P 15 Sport 2 semi-automatic assault-style rifle, a Savage Arms Axis .223 caliber hunting rifle with a scope and 500 rounds of ammunition.

Directly following the incident, Russell pleaded not-guilty but then changed his plea to guilty in September on federal charges of possessing bomb-making materials, and for improperly storing such materials. The two charges carry a maximum sentence of 11 years.

Russell’s lawyer, Ian Goldstein, asked the court for leniency in sentencing citing his client’s clean record and immaturity as reasons.

In a memorandum, he wrote, “As a 22 year old former college student and member of the armed forces, the defendant has seen the future he once hoped for evaporate before his eyes. He has learned more in this past year than in his prior 21 years combined, and has demonstrated both remorse and a desire to change.”

He said that this would be Russell’s first and only criminal conviction.

Russell was arrested about 48 hours after he discovered the bodies of his two roommates, Jeremy Himmelman, 22, and Andrew Oneschuk, 18, upon returning home from duty with the Army’s National Guard.

The fourth roommate, Devon Arthurs, 18, confessed to killing the two men for a making fun of his recent turn to Islam.

While officers were searching the shared apartment, bomb technicians recognized a “white cake-like” material in a cooler as hexamethylene triperoxide diamine, or HMTD, in the attached garage. Russell admitted the material was his, prosecutors say.

Police found radioactive materials belonging to Russell, as well as white supremacy propaganda and a framed photo of Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City federal building bomber.

They found enough explosive materials for the FBI to file the criminal complaint against Russell. Russell said the material was used to launch model rockets which he did as an engineering student.

Russell told the police at the murder scene he was going to visit his father, but instead, picked up a fellow neo-Nazi, who has been identified as William James Tschantre, of Bradenton, and headed toward the Keys. The two stopped to purchase the guns along the way.

It’s unclear what Russell’s intentions were in the Keys.

Arthurs, however, incriminated Russell by saying he planned to target Turkey Point, the nuclear plant near the entrance to the Keys — a seemingly appropriate target for atomwaffen, the neo-Nazi group Russell created and whose name means “atomic weapon” in German.

Goldstein dismissed the Turkey Point matter as “a red herring, a fabrication created by Devon Arthurs in order to justify his own criminal behavior.”

Tschantre told police that he and Russell had no specific destination in mind and had no plans to hurt anyone or do any harm.

Keys News

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) – A neo-Nazi group leader who stockpiled explosive material in the Florida apartment where a friend killed two roommates has been sentenced to five years in federal prison.

The sentence, handed down Tuesday in a Tampa federal court against 22-year-old Brandon Russell, was less than the 11 years sought by prosecutors.

The judge said it was a difficult case because she was concerned that Russell was capable of making bombs but was also worried that he might become involved with other neo-Nazis while in prison.

Devon Arthurs, Russell’s friend, awaits trial in state court on charges of murdering their two roommates, Andrew Oneschuk and Jeremy Himmelman.

Russell wasn’t charged in the May 2017 killings, which exposed the four roommates’ membership in Atomwaffen Division, an obscure neo-Nazi group that formed on the internet.

WTSP

A self-declared Nazi who called Jewish people “parasites” who should be “eradicated” has been found guilty of stirring up racial hatred.

The 22-year-old man from Lancashire, who cannot be named for legal reasons, committed the offences in speeches at far-right gatherings in 2015 and 2016.

He was involved with the now banned group National Action.

He denied two charges but was found guilty by a jury at Preston Crown Court and will be sentenced at a later date.

Jurors heard that in one speech, the defendant said Britain “took the wrong side” in World War Two by choosing to fight the “National Socialists who were there to remove Jewry from Europe once and for all”.

Referring to the Holocaust – which he claimed during his trial not to believe in – the man had told activists “that’s what the Final Solution was.”

He added that instead “we let these parasites live among us, and they still do” before going on to say “we let these people destroy us, and they are still destroying us now, and we’re pointing fingers at the symptoms and not the disease”.

He added: “You can call me Nazi, you can call me fascist. That is what I am.”

‘Deliberately controversial’

In the other speech, he called for Jews to be “eradicated” and said Nazi leader Adolf Hitler had been wrong to show “mercy to people who did not deserve mercy”.

The man told jurors he was a Nazi and that the law courts were run by Jews, but said that did not mean he hated all Jews.

Giving evidence, he said he was being deliberately controversial to provoke lively debate and shift views further to the right on the political spectrum.

Anti-racism group Hope Not Hate said after the verdict it was “pleased to have provided the impetus and the evidence for this prosecution” adding it had been a “frustrating” process.

BBC News

A man has denied preparing an act of terrorism and threatening to kill people attending a Gay Pride event at a Cumbrian pub.

Ethan Stables, from Barrow, admitted possession of an explosive substance and possession of documents likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism.

The 19-year-old appeared at Leeds Crown Court via video link.

Judge Peter Collier QC remanded him in custody to go on trial in January.

It is alleged that in June, Mr Stables searched the internet for material relating to a number of far right groups and, separately, information on the manufacture of explosives.

Prosecutors said he made made threats to kill in a private Facebook group, called “National Socialists Union standing against New World Order”.

He is also accused of carrying out reconnaissance of a pub in Barrow which was hosting a Gay Pride evening the same month.

BBC News

Lawrence Burns, 26, made anti-semitic comments and shared Hitler imagery online

Lawrence Burns from Cambridge during his appearance at Crown Court in Cambridge last year

Lawrence Burns from Cambridge during his appearance at Crown Court in Cambridge last year



An extremist who made anti-semitic comments and shared Hitler imagery online has been jailed for four years.

Lawrence Burns, 26, had earlier been found guilty of two charges of inciting racial hatred in a string of provocative Facebook posts in 2014.

He was also prosecuted for making a racist speech at a memorial demonstration for American white supremacist leader David Lane.

In the speech, which was later shared online via YouTube, Burns was heard to refer to Jews as “parasites” that wanted to create a “mongrelised race”.

Burns, of Coldham’s Lane, Cambridge, was charged with the two offences on January 22 last year and found guilty in December.

A judge at Peterborough Crown Court today ruled that he should serve a total of four years in prison for his offences.

During the trial it was alleged that Burns commented on a YouTube video that he wanted to “hang the black race”, while also sharing Adolf Hitler artwork.

Jurors were shown screenshots of hundreds of Facebook posts that Burns had written under a different name.

In one post, Burns is alleged to have written that black children were born with a “horrible” nature and were mean to animals.

He is also reported to have written: “The white race is the only race that can boost evolution. The rest of the other races must be eliminated.”

Prosecutor Mark Weekes earlier summarised Burns’s extreme views to the court. He said: “This is a young man who is an extremist and has expressed racist views, particularly towards the Jewish and Afro-Caribbean community.

“On his public Facebook account, which has more than 90 friends, he expressed some of the vilest and most offensive sentiments possible.

“Many of the posts are abusive and insulting towards Jews, who he refers to as ‘sub human animals’ and contain offensive words.”

Mr Weekes added that in a post on August 28, 2014, Burns accused white women of “mating with race-mixing filth” and on September 1, 2014, compared Jews to “maggots in a decaying body” who are “hijacking the genes of a superior white race”.

Adrian Davis, who defended Burns during the course of the trial, said Burns had mistakenly thought his Facebook account was set up to keep his posts private.

He said someone seeking to incite racial hatred would seek the largest possible audience, whereas Burns had set out to do the “very opposite, but messed it up”.

Mr Davis said Burns was a “rash young man” who had never intended his words to be read by a wide audience.

Cambridge News

Dominic Howe admitted having a Samurai sword in the street.

Dominic Howe admitted having a Samurai sword in the street.


A MENTALLY ill man, armed with a samurai sword, was on the way to avenge his uncle’s death when he was stopped by police in South Tyneside, a court heard.

Dominic Lewis Howe has been banned from South Tyneside for six months after being found with the 18-inch weapon while under the influence of drink and drugs.

The court heard a resident had raised the alarm after spotting the 20-year-old staggering along Sheridan Road, South Shields, at about 8am on Monday, with the handle of the sword sticking out of his trousers.

Howe was arrested and, after he’d sobered up, told police he had been on his way to find the man who had supplied his uncle with the drugs he used to kill himself with an overdose.

Yesterday, Howe, of Percy Road, Whitley Bay, appeared before South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.

Jeanette Smith, prosecuting, said: “He told police he had been drinking. He had gone to watch Newcastle play and had been drinking.

“He had also taken cocaine and ended up in a friend’s house in Whiteleas.

“He continued drinking and began to think about his uncle, who died of a drugs overdose. He wanted to find the man who sold his uncle the drugs, and he went out with the intention of trying to kill that person.

“All that was on his mind was revenge.” The court was told that Howe has been diagnosed with a bipolar disorder and is hoping to receive medication in order to treat the illness.

Geoffrey Forrester, defending, said: “Looking at the reality of the situation, the defendant was extremely intoxicated and was staggering around with the sword down his trousers.

“In all probability he presented more of a threat to himself than to anyone else.

“There was no suggestion he was waving this sword around.

“This was something that was going to end with him being arrested by police before anything was going to happen. He wasn’t in any state to do anything.”

Magistrates warned Howe, who pleaded guilty to being in possession of an offensive weapon in a public place, that they were considering sending him to jail.

However, the court heard from the probation service that sending him to prison would be detrimental to his mental health condition.

Chairman of the Bench, Robert McDonald, said: “The bench has spent considerable time discussing how to deal with you for what is a very serious offence.

“Carrying that weapon in itself is dangerous. However, you did not produce it or threaten anyone, which is something we have taken into account.

“We were very close to sending you to prison.”

Howe was jailed for 12 weeks, suspended for 18 months, with 18 months supervision and banned from South Tyneside for six months.

Shields Gazette

Opposing factions hurled missiles and caused up to £25,000 of damage to St George’s Hall left daubed with Nazi swastikas

Right-wing activists involved in violent clashes between neo-Nazis and anti-fascists outside Lime Street Station have been jailed.

A woman was left scarred for life, a man suffered a broken nose and a police officer was knocked unconscious in ugly scenes last year.

Liverpool Crown Court heard opposing factions hurled missiles and caused up to £25,000 of damage to the historic St George’s Hall.

Nazi swastikas were daubed on walls, cobble stones were torn up from the building’s plateau and a Victorian statue was damaged.

Shane Calvert, Wayne Bell and Brian Stamp today appeared in court, alongside allies Nikki Prescott and Alan Raine. Calvert admitted conspiracy to commit violent disorder, while Bell was convicted after a trial. Prescott, Raine and Stamp admitted affray.

Bell liaised with Merseyside Police to organise “The White Man March” for now-banned fascist terrorist group National Action on August 15, 2015.The event, in Liverpool, ended in “humiliating failure” for the far right, after they were met by a much larger group of counter-protesters.

Simon Driver, prosecuting, said the fascists “were forced to take refuge in a left-luggage facility” before police escorted them to trains. Stung by the embarrassment, another far right group, the North West Infidels, headed to Liverpool on February 27, 2016.

Police were not informed and organiser Calvert deliberately changed the location of the “anti-immigration demonstration” from Manchester to Liverpool.

Brian Stamp, 34, from South Shields, jailed for 16 months after admitting affray

Brian Stamp, 34, from South Shields, jailed for 16 months after admitting affray

Fascists were again met by police and counter-protesters but had enlisted a group of Polish men called the “Polish Hooligans”. One cluster of far right-supporters congregated at the Crown Pub, including Stamp, Prescott and Raine, at around 11.30am.

A second group, including Calvert and Bell, gathered on the steps of St George’s Hall, as trouble flared at around 1.30pm.

Mr Driver said: “They displayed North West Infidels banners and neo-Nazi flags. They made gestures, which included the Nazi style ‘sieg heil’ salutes.”

CCTV showed the stand-off, with rival factions separated by riot police, who held the first group at the pub and escorted them away. Smoke canisters and fireworks were thrown and, at 2.30pm, the group near the hall were joined by the Poles.

Wayne Bell, 37, from Castleford, jailed for two and a half years after being found guilty of conspiracy to commit violent disorder

Wayne Bell, 37, from Castleford, jailed for two and a half years after being found guilty of conspiracy to commit violent disorder

They wore black hoodies emblazoned with “Polska Hooligans” and badges showing a person being kicked, captioned “good night left side”.

Police came under attack from both sides with industrial fireworks, flares, bottles, cobble stones and eggs. Mr Driver said: “A police inspector was knocked unconscious by a missile and a police constable suffered a broken wrist.”

A young female bystander suffered a facial gash requiring plastic surgery and a man suffered a cut and broken nose. People attending an antiques fair within the hall had to be locked in for their own safety.

A 75-year-old black woman who emerged was racially abused and struck in the forehead by a stone. Police eventually encircled the fascists and marched them to the station.

Shane Calvert, 36, from Blackburn, jailed for two years after admitting conspiracy to commit violent disorder

Shane Calvert, 36, from Blackburn, jailed for two years after admitting conspiracy to commit violent disorder

Mr Driver said Calvert wished to “avenge” the previous defeat, as shown in text messages to a man called Garron Helm. He and Bell, who bragged of punching left-wing activists “like that game whack attack”, recruited the Poles.

They exchanged messages talking of “payback time for Liverpool” and Bell spoke of “the local n***** population”.

Stamp boasted of buying “bad boy” gloves with reinforced knuckle-pads, which he was filmed wearing. Raine was recorded threatening “I’ll bite your f***ing face off” and Prescott yelling “come on then, let’s f***ing have it”.

Judge Menary imposed criminal behaviour orders, banning the five men from entering Liverpool for five years, for their “planned hooliganism”.

Billy Duggan, from Duggan & Parr Stone Repair Ltd, surveying the graffiti on St George's Hall

Billy Duggan, from Duggan & Parr Stone Repair Ltd, surveying the graffiti on St George’s Hall

He said: “There will, I have no doubt, be those on both sides of this political divide who are motivated by a desire to promote genuinely-held ideological beliefs – however repugnant or deeply offensive those views might appear to others.

“But I am equally sure that many of the people involved in the disorder on these occasions have made the journey or have involved themselves for no reason other than to behave like hooligans.”

Judge Menary jailed Calvert, 36, from Blackburn, for two years and Stamp, 34, from South Shields, who “came to Liverpool prepared for a fight” for 16 months.

He jailed Bell, 37, from Castleford, for two and a half years, telling him: “Your attitude towards other groups was deeply offensive, racist and you celebrated violent confrontation.”

Unemployed Raine, 41, from Sunderland, and doorman Prescott, 43, from Blackburn, each received 16 months in jail, suspended for two years.

Raine received a 25-day rehabilitation activity, 200 hours of unpaid work and a four-month home curfew, from 8pm to 6am. Prescott must complete a 30-day rehabilitation activity, 250 hours of unpaid work and pay £500 compensation.

Liverpool Echo