Archive

Tag Archives: North West Infidels

One of the longest prison terms dealt to a demonstrator at the Dover protests was served today.

Bretton Vaughan, 45, of Belmont Road in Preston, Lancashire, travelled to Kent to take part in a pre-planned march through the town on Saturday, January 30, 2016.

Fighting broke out when those present were met by other visitors who were holding a counter-protest at the same time.

Bretton Vaughan

Bretton Vaughan

Vaughan was witnessed throwing objects on three occasions by offers reviewing evidential footage captured during the disturbances.

He was arrested at his home address on Thursday, July 7, and subsequently charged with violent disorder.

He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to three-and-a-half years imprisonment at Canterbury Crown Court on Friday.

Police believe this is the third longest term from a January 2016 Dover rioter.

Investigating officer Detective Constable, Kirsty Bricknell, said: “Bretton Vaughan and others like him had no business in coming to Dover and contributing to the widespread trouble that took place that day.

“He has received a significant custodial sentence for his actions, which reflects the seriousness of the crimes he committed and the effect they had on the people of the town.”

Kent Online

Advertisements

Two more violent rioters are behind bars after admitting throwing objects at people in a violent protest.

Michael Reilly, 53, of Teilos Drive in Bridgend, South Wales, and Gary Crane, 50, of South Row in Bishop Auckland, County Durham, travelled to Dover to take part in a pre-planned march on Saturday, January 30, 2016.

Fighting broke out when opposing right wing and left wing sides clashed.

Michael Reilly has been jailed for his part in the Dover riot on January 30, 2016

Michael Reilly has been jailed for his part in the Dover riot on January 30, 2016

The right wing visitors claim they were protesting in support of lorry drivers facing fines when migrants board their vehicles in France illegally. A counter protest was organised and took place in the town’s market square in support of refugees.

Kent Police detectives reviewed hundreds of hours of evidential footage captured on the day of the disturbance and witnessed both men throwing objects.

 Gary Crane has been jailed for his part in the Dover riot on January 30, 2016


Gary Crane has been jailed for his part in the Dover riot on January 30, 2016

Reilly was arrested at his home address on Tuesday, June 21, and Crane at his home on Wednesday, July 20. Both were subsequently charged with violent disorder and pleaded guilty when they appeared at Canterbury Crown Court.

Crane was jailed for eight months and Reilly for 11 months.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Kirsty Bricknell said: “Gary Crane and Michael Reilly are the latest in a long line of offenders who are now behind bars for the violent crimes committed in Dover last year.

“Regardless of the difference of political views involved on the day, there is never any excuse for this type of criminal activity to take place.

Kent Online

Martin Corner, 36, was filmed attempting to break through the police lines and encouraging others to join him

Martin Corner. Image courtesy of Greater Manchester Police.

Martin Corner.

A leading member of the far-right group North West Infidels has been jailed for taking part in a violent demo against refugees in Dover.

Martin Corner, 36, was filmed attempting to break through the police lines and encouraging others to join him.

He was also caught throwing an object at counter-protestors.

Corner, of Radcliffe Road in Bolton , was jailed for two years after he was found guilty of violent disorder following a trial at Canterbury Crown Court.

He was among a number of people who travelled to Kent to protest against refugees during a march through Dover organised by far-right group South East Infidels on Saturday, January 30, last year.

corner

Violence erupted when they clashed with a counter-demo by anti-fascists.

Several people were hurt and witnesses reported how bricks were thrown during the clash.

Corner was among a number of people who had travelled south to join the demo against refugees.

He is thought to be a key member of the North West Infidels and has spoken at a number of its demomstrations.

Corner was jailed alongside co-defendant Thomas Law, 54, from Coventry, who was imprisoned for two-and-half years after he was was seen throwing objects and caught being verbally abusive towards someone who was not involved in the disturbances.

Law was also found guilty of violent disorder.

law

Police spent many hours viewing footage of the violence and attempting to identify those responsible, leading to the arrests of both men in March last year.

More than 40 others who took part in the riot have previously been sentenced.

Det Con Hilary Bell said: “There is no excuse for the crimes committed by Martin Corner, Thomas Law and the more than 40 other offenders who have been sentenced so far.

“They could have chosen to walk away but instead they participated in disgraceful scenes that caused great concern and anger for law-abiding residents of Dover.

“Hopefully all those now serving time for their actions will consider if it was really worth it, and think twice before displaying such behaviour in future.”

Manchester Evening News

Two more protesters have been jailed following last year’s Dover riots.

Martin Corner was jailed for two years and Thomas Law for two-and-a-half by Canterbury Crown Court yesterday (Wednesday).

Corner, 36, of Radcliffe Road, Bolton, and Law, 54, of Raphael Close, Coventry, were both found guilty of violent disorder following a trial.

They had travelled to Dover on Saturday 30 January 2016 to take part in a march through the town, where they were involved in clashes with people holding a counter-protest at the same time.

Martin Corner. Image courtesy of Greater Manchester Police.

Martin Corner. Image courtesy of Greater Manchester Police.

Kent Police officers spent many hours viewing all available footage of the violence and attempting to identify those responsible, leading to the arrests of both men on Thursday, March 31 last year.

Investigating officer Det Con Hilary Bell said: ‘There is no excuse for the crimes committed by Martin Corner, Thomas Law and the more than 40 other offenders who have been sentenced so far.

‘They could have chosen to walk away but instead they participated in disgraceful scenes that caused great concern and anger for law-abiding residents of Dover.

“Hopefully all those now serving time for their actions will consider if it was really worth it, and think twice before displaying such behaviour in future.”

Large-scale violence had erupted that January day when a march far right groups led by the South East Alliance was countered by a protest by Kent Network Against Racism and Dover Stand Up to Racism.

Their protest had begun with a peaceful rally at Market Square but several people at the rally, many masked, broke away to confront the far right arriving at Dover Priory Station.

The height of the violence was when the two factions threw missiles at each other at either end of Effingham Street.

Kent Online

Marin Corner is best known for his attempt to burn the EU flag.

broadbent

A violent protester who was filmed giving the Nazi salute has been jailed.

Andrew Broadbent, 44, of St Mary’s Walk in Bridlington, Yorkshire, was filmed fighting, throwing objects and hitting a man with a stick during the disorder on Saturday January 30.

Broadbent’s image was circulated to other police forces, which led to his arrest at the end of July.

He was also caught on camera giving a Nazi salute.

He was subsequently charged with violent disorder, which he admitted prior to his sentencing hearing at Canterbury Crown Court on Friday October 21.

Divisional commander Chief Superintendent Andrea Bishop of Kent Police said: ‘This is another positive outcome for everyone affected by the disorder created by Andrew Broadbent and the many others who have also been sentenced for offences committed on the day of the protests.

“The behaviour on display was totally unacceptable and it is pleasing to see the courts imposing prison terms in response.

‘I hope this acts as a powerful deterrent to anyone considering causing trouble at any future protests in Kent.’

Kent Live

Warren Ian Hamer, 36, of Woodbine Road in Burnley

Warren Ian Hamer, 36, of Woodbine Road in Burnley

A CAREER criminal who ‘reverted to type’ after he got into money troubles has been jailed.

Burnley Crown Court heard Warren Ian Hamer, 36, had multiple previous convictions for burglary and theft but had turned his life around and was in a stable relationship, had a full-time job and also had a young son.

But after getting into debt after moving into a house with his family, he ‘returned to his old ways’ and attempted to burgle a house but was caught at the scene, the court heard.

Francis McEntee, prosecuting, said: “The burglary itself is quite straight forward. Neighbours reported seeing a man acting strangely in Coniston Street, Burnley, at 9pm on September 9.

Police attended and found the defendant at the scene. He had been interrupted near to the end of the burglary.”

Mr McEntee said Hamer, of Woodbine Road in Burnley, had already taken various electrical equipment from the house and was in the process of stealing a bike.

He was also found with a screw driver and a Stanley knife, which the police was satisfied was for the purpose of the burglary.

The court heard the man who lived in the house was staying at his girlfriend’s at the time of the burglary.

Defending, Richard Taylor said his client had shown genuine remorse for the burglary and realised his girlfriend and 18-month-old son was suffer as a consequence of his actions.

Mr Taylor said: “When he was arrested and taken for interview he immediately admitted the offence. The property has been recovered.

“The previous burglaries were committed when he was a serious drug user.

“Since leaving custody in 2014 he has taken up with his girlfriend. Her mother employed him. They work in a recycling depot. He was on a fairly low wage. They moved in to a new home. There was a lot of debt. Their tax credits were cut.

“He fully accepts he reverted to type. Once he was in custody in realised what he has lost.”

In a letter to the court Hamer, who admitted to one charge of burglary, acknowledged that he had let down his girlfriend, son and employed.

Jailing Hamer for 32 months Judge Beverley Lunt said: “There is something very wrong if your first impulse when you have money worries is to burgle a home.

“You have a partner who supports you and a child. How would you feel if someone burgles their home?”

Lancashire Telegraph

wh-3

wh-1

nigel

Two men have today been jailed following an attempted robbery in which a pensioner was hit over the head with a stick and ordered to hand over her money.

Jordon Walker, 19 and Nigel James Sullivan, 43, forced their way into the woman’s home in Scarborough.

A judge at York Crown Court today jailed Sullivan for 13 years and sentenced Walker to eight years in a young offenders’ institution.

During the incident in April this year, the 65-year-old victim was confronted in her bedroom by Walker, who had covered his face.

He demanded money and when she said she didn’t have any he struck her head with a wooden stick.

The victim then heard a man’s voice from the landing outside her bedroom door saying: “Have you done her in yet?”

The attackers left empty-handed but were arrested on the Barrowcliff estate after a separate unrelated matter.

The woman was taken to hospital with head injuries but fortunately she was not seriously hurt.

Walker, of Scarborough, pleaded guilty at York Crown Court in June, admitting he had entered the bedroom and struck the pensioner.

Sullivan, also of Scarborough, denied his involvement but was found guilty by a jury after a two-day trial on 29 September 2016.

After the pair were sentenced, Detective Constable Steve Johnson, who led the case for Scarborough’s Serious Crime Team, said: “Nobody should feel unsafe in their own home and I can only imagine how terrifying this ordeal was for the victim.

“It was a nasty, cowardly attack by two men against a woman in her 60s.

“Although incidents such as this are very uncommon, especially in North Yorkshire, I’d urge people to take precautions such as not keeping large amounts of money in their house and locking doors or using a slide chain, even when they are at home.

“While this was a very unpleasant incident, I hope the victim and other residents of North Yorkshire take some comfort in the fact that Walker and Sullivan are now beginning very long terms in prison, where they belong.”

Scarborough News

Nigel Sullivan on the left and Walker bending over.

Nigel Sullivan on the left and Walker bending over.