Archive

Tag Archives: Racial Conviction

David Gallacher was described by the judge as a "shabby racist" and a "thug"

David Gallacher was described by the judge as a “shabby racist” and a “thug”

A “shabby racist” who repeatedly kicked a pregnant Muslim woman, resulting in her losing her unborn baby, has been jailed for almost four years.

David Gallacher, 37, of no fixed address, attacked Samsam Haji-Ali, 34, and her husband outside a Co-op in Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, in August.

He admitted actual bodily harm, assault by beating and two counts of racially or religiously aggravated assault.

The judge called him a “thug and a racist to boot.”

Aylesbury Crown Court heard Somali Ms Haji-Ali was racially abused by Gallacher in the Water Eaton Road shop on 4 August.

He swore at her and said: “You come here with your clown outfit on…”

As her husband Abdullah Sulamain, 40, attempted to calm him down in the car park outside, Gallacher hit him on the head with a bottle of wine and a bag of ice.

He then kicked Ms Haji-Ali in the stomach.

Judge Francis Sheridan said: “She told him she was pregnant and he continued to kick her again, after he was told she was pregnant.

“She is left rolling around on the ground in agony and later found there is bleeding, before she lost the baby.”

Ms Haji-Ali miscarried on 24 August

Judge Sheridan said her pregnancy had been “absolutely fine” before the attack, and in his view “the loss of that baby was a direct result of a kick to the stomach of a pregnant woman”.

He told Gallacher: “There was a racial element to this attack.

“The defendant is a shabby racist on the language that he used towards this lady.

“It is time you learnt that your vile conduct and abhorrent views are a thing of the past.”

Gallacher admitted two counts of racially aggravated assault occasioning actual bodily harm and three counts of assaulting a police officer during his arrest in September last year.

He was jailed for three years and seven months for the race attacks and four months for the officer assault, to run consecutively.

BBC News

‘It was pre-meditated, it was determined, it was deeply unpleasant, and it was part of a campaign by you and your associates to tar all Muslims as Islamists’

Tim Burton outside Southwark Crown Court before the start of his trial for racially aggravated harassment Rex

Tim Burton outside Southwark Crown Court before the start of his trial for racially aggravated harassment Rex

A right-wing radio host who trolled an anti-hate crime campaigner with “Islamophobic” tweets and emails has been jailed for 12 weeks.

Timothy Burton, 64, branded Islam a “backwards, misogynistic, seventh-century” ideology in a series of emails to Tell Mama founder Fiyaz Mughal OBE between 4 April and 26 April 2016.

Burton also sent Mr Mughal links to far-right blogs containing “vile slurs” against Muslims including a petition called “renounce, reform, or get the hell out of my country”.

The radio presenter for the anti-immigration group Liberty GB was convicted of one count of religiously aggravated harassment in March following a week-long trial at Southwark Crown Court.

Burton, who says he has resigned from the group following his conviction, had denied the charge and claimed he was exercising his right to free speech.

He said he insulted Mr Mughal after reading articles suggesting Tell Mama had exaggerated figures about anti-Muslim incidents.

Mr Mughal said in a statement: “The defendant’s actions have led to endless nights of anxiety and fear and a sense of being targeted to my core.”

Judge Alex Gordon said Burton had been on a campaign to tar all Muslims as violent extremists as he jailed him for 12 weeks at Inner London Crown Court on Friday.

He said: “The defendant was found guilty by jury following a trial in March of religiously aggravated harassment.

“He sent a series of grossly offensive emails to Tell Mama with the obvious intention that they would be, as they were, received by Mr Mughal.

“Not only were these emails offensive, they provided links to deeply offensive material involving a petition called ‘renounce, reform, of get the hell out of my country’.

“He also linked to articles with vile slurs to Mr Mughal.

“He was broadcasting the harassment to the world.”

The judge said the emails “continued after the defendant was asked to stop sending them, and after it was threatened that he would be reported to the police”.

He continued: “It was obvious that these emails were designed, carefully designed to harass Mr Mughal by causing him distress.

“Your extreme antipathy towards Muslims is what led you to harass Mr Mughal.

“You are seemingly incapable of distinguishing between Muslims and violent Islamists. Your offending behaviour was obviously motivated by a religious hostility and aggravated the harassment.

“You were at the time, [though you have] apparently now resigned, a member of a group Liberty GB which promotes antipathy based on religious adherence.

“It was pre-meditated, it was determined, it was deeply unpleasant, and it was part of a campaign by you and your associates to tar all Muslims as Islamists.”

Judge Gordon accepted that Burton had “expressed some limited remorse”.

Burton was previously cleared of racially aggravated harassment in 2014 after calling Mr Mughal a “mendacious grievance-mongering taqqiya artist” and a “Muslim scumbag” on Twitter.

He told him Liberty GB members “raised a glass in your honour, and toasted you with a bacon sandwich” in an email referencing the second anniversary of his acquittal on 26 April 2016.

Jurors were told the obscure theological term “taqqiya” provides persecuted Shia Muslims with an option to deny their faith “if their life is at stake”.

Mr Mughal said far-right extremists use the term to “blacken all Muslims”.

He told the trial: “Within far-right circles they say don’t trust Muslims because ‘taqqiya’ means they will lie – one to spread Islam, two to take over the state by insidious means, and three to promote Sharia.”

Judge Gordon jailed Burton for 12 weeks and imposed a restraining order barring him from contacting Fiyaz Mughal, Faith Matters, Tell Mama, or any employee of those groups.

He added: “A breach of that order is quite rightly taken by the courts as an extremely important matter and may well result in a custodial sentence.”

The Independent

Simon Neve shared offensive images and posted the comments between July 26 and 28 last year, Cambridge Magistrates’ Court was told

A Cambridge man shared “nasty” and “offensive” images on Facebook, including one that said ‘keep calm and burn a mosque’, a court heard.

Simon Neve, of Trevone Place in Cambridge, commented on social media last year saying it would be “nice” if mosques were on fire in the UK.

The 46-year-old shared the images and posted the comments between July 26 and 28 last year, Cambridge Magistrates’ Court was told.

Neve previously pleaded guilty to five charges of sending an offensive or menacing message via a public communication network.

Magistrates adjourned the case for sentence at the same court until 10am on Tuesday, April 4.

Neve was released on unconditional bail.

Emma Howson, prosecuting, said: “The defendant posted pictures and comments on an open Facebook page which are considered to be offensive towards asylum seekers and muslims.

“In a post on July 26, the defendant wrote ‘I reckon a few mosques will be on fire tonight in France, it would be nice to see it in the UK too’.

“Another comment made by the defendant read ‘I think I’m going to kick off in France and mosques are going to be targeted, they are done’.

“In another post he wrote ‘It’s the only way the French are going to get any comeback’.”

Miss Howson said there were also pictures shared on Neve’s Facebook page of an offensive nature.

She told magistrates: “There were also pictures on his Facebook that said ‘keep calm and burn a mosque’.

“This is clearly a hate crime offence. The defendant has a number of previous offences recorded against him. His last racially aggravated offence was in April 2015.”

Neve has 24 previous convictions for 51 offences, some of which were of a similar nature, the court was told.

Monica Lentin, mitigating, said: “There is a basis of plea here; my client does not admit to creating any of the images in this offence but he does admit that he shared them.

“He does accept responsibility for creating and sending messages that we have read but that is the only thing he accepts.

He accepts that people would find these posts hurtful. It is accepted that these are nasty images and this is serious.”

Mrs Lentin said magistrates may feel the offence crosses the custody threshold, but that it would be proper to adjourn the case for reports.

She added: “My client has a long history of mental health problems. He also suffers from personality disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

“He is also on no end of prescribed opiate medication.”

Cambridge News

Northumbria Police is warning those who commit hate crimes that they will be tracked down and put before the courts.

The warning comes after a man was fined £250 for wearing a racially offensive t-shirt in public which displayed an anti-refugee image.

44-year-old Peter Hunt from Ashington pleaded guilty to racially aggravated section 5 public order after wearing the offensive t-shirt in Eldon Square in July 2016.

Last week it was revealed that the North East saw a rise in recorded hate crimes between July and September last year, following the Brexit vote.

Northumbria, Durham, Cleveland and North Yorkshire all reported an increase in hate crime offences between July and September 2016, compared with April and June 2016.

DCI Deborah Alderson, from the Safeguarding Department at Northumbria Police said:

The important thing to highlight about this case is that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated either by the community here or by Northumbria Police.

Being you is not a crime but targeting you is.

Targeting refugees in this manner is a hate crime which is never acceptable and offenders will be pursued and prosecuted.

– DCI Deborah Alderson

ITV News

pete-hunt

troll

An internet troll who made anti-Semitic death threats to a Labour MP and threatened to blow up a mosque has been jailed for 27 months.

John Nimmo, from South Shields, sent two emails to Luciana Berger, in which he said she would “get it like Jo Cox” and “watch your back Jewish scum”.

Emails to an anti-hate crime group also including threats to blow up a mosque.

Newcastle Crown Court heard the 28-year-old had earlier admitted three charges relating to online threats.

One of Nimmo’s messages to Liverpool Labour MP Ms Berger included a picture of a large knife and came just three weeks after MP Jo Cox was killed, the court heard.

Nimmo was jailed in 2014 for eight weeks for sending abusive messages on Twitter to feminist campaigner Caroline Criado-Perez and MP Stella Creasy.

Ms Criado-Perez had led a campaign using social media for a female figure to appear on a Bank of England note.

BBC News

Bigoted Alexander “AJ” MacKinnon told lawyer Sanaa Shahid and her four-year-old son that they shouldn’t be in first class and shouldn’t even be in the country.

Alexander MacKinnon racially abused Sanaa and her son Zayn

Alexander MacKinnon racially abused Sanaa and her son Zayn

The Daily Record today exposes this solicitor and former public schoolboy as a vile bigot who spat racist abuse at a young mum and her little son on a train.

Former company director Alexander “AJ” MacKinnon, 47, was offended by the presence of Sanaa Shahid and her son Zayn, four, in ‘his’ first-class carriage. The snob sneered at them: “How did you get into first class? You don’t deserve to be in first class.

“You should be in common class. In fact, you shouldn’t be in this country at all.

“You don’t deserve to be here. 
Bloody foreigners. Where were you 
even born?”

Bully MacKinnon also swore at 
little Zayn. His social media “likes” include Donald Trump, the BNP and the far-right English Defence League.

None of the other passengers 
in the carriage did anything to help Glasgow-born lawyer Sanaa. But she bravely confronted MacKinnon and branded him a racist.

She reported him to the train manager and transport police took him away in handcuffs. He continued to spout 
racist bile and abuse when officers
interviewed him.

MacKinnon appeared in court this 
week and admitted a racist offence, 
but escaped with a fine.

He apparently hoped a quick guilty 
plea would help him avoid publicity.

Sanaa and Zayn fell foul of MacKinnon on December 29 on the 2.30pm Virgin train from London Euston to Glasgow Central. Sanaa was heading home with her son after visiting husband Aftab, 36, who is working in the UK capital.

“This man started behaving 
aggressively to my son, telling him to
 shut up,” Sanaa recalled.

“I said to him that my son hadn’t done anything and then the abuse began. I moved seats to try to get away.

“I was taken aback. I’ve lived in 
Scotland all my life and nothing of this nature has ever happened to me. I told him straight that he was being racist and the staff on the train heard it.

“There were another 10 to 12 
passengers in the carriage and 
not one of them spoke up. That was shocking too.”

Sanaa began filming MacKinnon and watched as he guzzled wine straight from the bottle.

She also listened as he picked up his phone and arrogantly told a friend that someone was “wasting police time” by accusing him of racism. He knew at the time that Sanaa had reported him.

MacKinnon spat at Sanaa: “I’m racist, am I? You’re a racist.” He then looked straight at Zayn and swore aggressively.

Sanaa said: “I started filming this man in the immediate aftermath 
of the incident. Even then I could
hear him talking on the phone, ranting about me and Zayn.

“The train manager contacted 
British Transport Police then came 
and sat next to me until the train got into Carlisle.

“The Virgin staff could not have been better. They realised what was happening and were brilliant.

“The transport police were waiting to interview me when the train got into Glasgow. They were brilliant too.”

But despite all the support she received, Sanaa admitted MacKinnon’s abuse left its mark on her. She said: “I found myself crying a few times in the days afterwards.

“I was just so shocked to encounter this level of racism.

“I was also shocked at the open aggression this man showed towards my son. He is only four years old.”

MacKinnon is originally from London and was a boarder at exclusive Milton Abbey School in Dorset, where boarding now costs £11,780 per term.

He has “liked” Donald Trump on social media and posted articles about former UKIP leader Nigel Farage. His other social media “likes” include the English Defence League, the BNP, the Scottish BNP and various Scottish Conservative associations.

MacKinnon also likes luxury Swiss watchmakers, high-end gentlemen’s outfitters and vintage car associations for models such as Bentley and Jaguar.

He appeared at Carlisle Magistrates Court on Tuesday and admitted
a racially aggravated public order offence. He was fined £1154, plus 
£50 compensation, a £150 victim surcharge and £85 in court costs.

MacKinnon booked into a hotel in Gretna for his court appearance and shamelessly reviewed it online, praising the “very friendly staff” and “fantastic breakfast”.

He also complained about a firm of solicitors, although he didn’t explain why he needed them.

He wrote: “Would NOT 
recommend. They don’t return
your phone calls and don’t reply to 
your emails.

“Found another solicitor who done what I wanted done within a day.”

We went to talk to MacKinnon yesterday at his plush flat in leafy Mansionhouse Road on the south side of Glasgow, but a man who answered the door said he spoke for him and then refused to comment on his behaviour.

PC Mark Mellenthin, who investigated the case, said MacKinnon’s “frightening racist outburst” left Sanaa “visibly distressed and shaken”.

He added: “People like MacKinnon must understand that abusive, racist behaviour has no place on the railway. Everyone has the right to travel without fear of abuse like this.

“When it does happen we will do everything in our power to bring people before the courts.

“Hopefully MacKinnon’s substantial fine will make him think twice before unleashing such vitriol on other members of the public.”
Daily Record

A drunk man shouted racist abuse during a hospital visit on Christmas Day and claimed to back the BNP, a court heard.

Homeless Richard Sykes, 36, told staff at the Queen’s Medical Centre: “I am going to hurt every **** here” before making a comment supporting the far right party.

Ali Zaki, prosecuting, told Nottingham magistrates: “Many of the staff are of Asian, Indian and Pakistani heritage.”

Road builder Sykes was said to be “extremely drunk” and had also taken the drug cocaine that day, added Mr Zaki.

The court heard that Sykes had 36 previous convictions including one for a racially aggravated offence in March 2014. A £120 fine, £50 prosecution costs and a £30 government surcharge were ordered from Sykes, who pleaded guilty to racially aggravated threatening behaviour.

Nigel Dicks, mitigating, said: “Like most people in this situation, he is not racially motivated and certainly is not in the BNP. This is just someone who can’t even remember what language came out of his mouth when he was in that situation in the hospital.

“There is no underlying malice and he apologises to the court.”

Father-of-two Sykes is currently living on £400 wages left over after working for a firm which went bankrupt. He is “sofa surfing and has no underlying problem with drug or drink abuse,” added Mr Dicks.

Presiding magistrate John Perry told Sykes: “This happened in a public place and was racially aggravated as well.”

Nottingham Post