Archive

Tag Archives: South Shields

Brutal Damian Sweet and Liam Snaith have been jailed for 10 years after leaving the victim with his ‘ear hanging off’ in shocking attack

L-R; Damian Sweet and Liam Snaith, who have both been jailed for 10 years for false imprisonment and GBH with intent

L-R; Damian Sweet and Liam Snaith, who have both been jailed for 10 years for false imprisonment and GBH with intent

Two savage thugs tied up a man, slashed him with knives and poured vodka in his eyes during an horrific episode of violence in the victim’s own home.

Sick Damian Sweet and Liam Snaith left Jordan Hopkins with his ear “hanging off” and in need of stitches and staples when they subjected him to the sickening onslaught for no reason.

The pair had turned up with a bottle of Frosty Jacks cider at the victim’s home one night last August and he let them in thinking they were his friends, a court heard.

But, they soon turned violent and bound the 23-year-old with cables before launching their sickening attack.

During the shocking ordeal, Mr Hopkins was slashed with a Stanley knife, kicked, punched, taunted, humiliated, headbutted and had booze poured in his eyes, a court was told.

When they finally stopped, the victim, who had been in and out of consciousness, was left with swelling, cuts and bruises on his face and body, a bite mark on his arm and a broken collarbone.

He was taken to hospital and treated with staples, stitches and glue.

Now, Sweet, 19, and Snaith, 23, both of Whitehead Street, South Shields, have been jailed for 10 years each after pleading guilty to false imprisonment and causing grievous bodily harm with intent at Newcastle Crown Court.

Sentencing them, Judge Penny Moreland said: “This was a sustained assault by the two of you on him and you used a weapon to cause him injury.

“There are a number of aggravating factors, you were both under the influence of drink or drugs, there were two of you in his flat, attacking him together, this occurred in the complainant’s own home and it included gratuitous degradation by squirting and drenching him with drink.”

In a victim statement, Mr Hopkins told the court that, after the attack, his eyes had been so swollen, he could hardly see and he’d been left suffering from nightmares and flashbacks.

He said: “My right ear was sliced and cut so it was hanging off and had to be glued.”

Mr Hopkins added: “I am forever looking over my shoulder.

“I have flashbacks of the assault when I go to bed, nightmares of the ordeal and I wake up in a cold sweat. The people that attacked me were supposed to be my friends. Now, I find it hard to trust anyone.”

The court heard Mr Hopkins’ physical and mental health have also suffered because of the attack.

Mark Guiliani, prosecuting, said the incident happened on August 6 when Mr Hopkins had been out with friends and was about to go to bed.

His attackers, who he had got along with as pals in the past, then turned up carrying the Frosty Jack cider.

Mr Guiliani said Mr Hopkins could tell immediately that the pair were under the influence of something and were acting “out of character”.

Snaith then locked Mr Hopkins’ front door and put the key in his pocket, the court was told.

Snaith and Sweet then used electrical cables to tie up the victim and bound his hands and legs together.

The court heard Snaith then produced a Stanley knife and slashed Mr Hopkins across the left eye after asking him if he “had ever been in a hostage situation before”.

Mr Guiliani said: “As soon as he did this, blood started to pour down the complainant’s face. The knife was then passed to Sweet.”

The prosecutor said Sweet then started to carve a pattern on the victim’s face and told him “you will remember me” before slashing his cheek.

Mr Guiliani added: “He said although he could feel the cuts, he couldn’t feel any pain. He contributes this to shock.”

The court heard the victim was untied and dragged into the bathroom, beaten, and then tied up again in the living room.

Mr Guiliani said: “Liquid from a bottle was squirted into his eyes, which caused him to clench his eyes. He thought it may have been vodka and coke, the liquid was dark in colour.

“Then, one of the bottles of Frosty Jacks was poured over his head. By this stage, the complainants eyes were swollen so much they were heavy, he was struggling to keep them open.”

Mr Hopkins drifted in an out of consciousness and was later taken to a different flat, where paramedics were called.

Paul Rooney, defending Sweet, who has no past convictions, said: “He says he is disgusted with himself. He cannot understand why he did what he did and he wishes to apologise to him.”

John Wilkinson, defending Snaith, who has convictions for disorderly behaviour, said: “He had consumed drink and a large amount of drugs on the day we are concerned with, which perhaps explains, though does not excuse, the bizarre behaviour he entered in to with his co-accused.”

The Chronicle

snaithSnaith

troll

An internet troll jailed for making death threats and threatening to blow up a mosque has been banned from contacting his victims for five years.

John Nimmo, 28, emailed Labour MP Luciana Berger calling her “Jewish scum” who would “get it like Jo Cox”.

Nimmo was jailed for 27 months last week after admitting nine offences under the Malicious Communications Act.

An order prohibits him from contacting his victims’ close relatives or using a false identity to post comments online.

Nimmo, from South Shields, South Tyneside, faces an additional five years in jail if he breaches the order.

He has also been ordered to give mobile phone, laptop and tablet passwords to police, along with details of his internet usage.

Nimmo had emailed Liverpool Wavertree MP Ms Berger, telling her to “watch your back Jewish scum”.

He also admitted sending emails to an anti-hate crime group in which he threatened to blow up a mosque.

Ms Berger has said she had been left in “huge distress” and “extremely concerned” for her safety.

Nimmo was jailed for 27 months last week after admitting nine offences under the Malicious Communications Act.

He had previously been jailed in 2014 for sending abusive tweets to MP Stella Creasy and feminist campaigner Caroline Criado-Perez.

BBC News

troll

An internet troll who made anti-Semitic death threats to a Labour MP and threatened to blow up a mosque has been jailed for 27 months.

John Nimmo, from South Shields, sent two emails to Luciana Berger, in which he said she would “get it like Jo Cox” and “watch your back Jewish scum”.

Emails to an anti-hate crime group also including threats to blow up a mosque.

Newcastle Crown Court heard the 28-year-old had earlier admitted three charges relating to online threats.

One of Nimmo’s messages to Liverpool Labour MP Ms Berger included a picture of a large knife and came just three weeks after MP Jo Cox was killed, the court heard.

Nimmo was jailed in 2014 for eight weeks for sending abusive messages on Twitter to feminist campaigner Caroline Criado-Perez and MP Stella Creasy.

Ms Criado-Perez had led a campaign using social media for a female figure to appear on a Bank of England note.

BBC News

One man has been jailed and another charged over the Dover riots as the first anniversary approaches.

Brian Stamp was sent to prison for 16 months today after hitting someone with a flagpole and throwing objects at rival protesters.

Meanwhile Shaun Grimsley has been charged with violent disorder and will appear in court next month.

Canterbury Crown Court heard that Stamp, 34 and of Talbot Road, South Shields travelled to Kent to take part in a pre-planned political demonstration in Dover last January 30.

Members of the far right, including the National Front and South East Alliance, arrived in the town to march and ended up clashing with left wing protesters who had also flocked in.

Police afterwards uncovered footage of Stamp throwing objects at members of an opposing group in Effingham Street.

The street was the setting for one of the ugliest scenes of the day when both sides hurled missiles at each other from either end.

He was later seen assaulting an opposing demonstrator with a flagpole, causing the pole to break, in Folkestone Road.

He pleaded guilty to one count of violent disorder.

Det Con Kirsty Bricknell, the investigating officer for this case, said: “Stamp was taking part in a pre-planned demonstration but, instead of using it as a platform to lawfully voice his opinions, took it as an opportunity to take part in violent disorder.

“The behaviour of Stamp, and numerous other offenders who took part in the disorder, caused a significant amount of disruption for residents in Dover and left a number of people fearing for their safety.

“Despite not being in Kent, and returning to his home in the South Shields, Stamp was unable to avoid arrest.

“ This sentencing shows that Kent Police has the resources to identify offenders from across the UK and that geographical distance is no barrier to us bringing them to justice.”

In a separate development Grimsley, of Foxglove Walk, Hednesford, Staffordshire, was arrested last Thursday after a warrant was executed at his home.

He has since been bailed to attend Folkestone Magistrates Court on Wednesday, February 8.

Det Insp Bill Thornton, from Kent Police, said: “We are continuing to work tirelessly to identify suspects for offences committed before and during the demonstrations in Dover.

“This latest charge shows that we work closely with police forces across the UK to make sure these arrests are made.”

Every since that violent day police have been hunting down perpetrators and had made 80 arrests by November.

A number of other convicted rioters have already been jailed.

Kent Online

John Nimmo, previously jailed for abusive messages, sent emails to Luciana Berger telling her she would ‘get it like Jo Cox’

John Nimmo was told he would be sent to crown court for sentencing due to the seriousness of his crimes. Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA

John Nimmo was told he would be sent to crown court for sentencing due to the seriousness of his crimes. Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA

An internet troll is facing jail for a second time after making antisemitic death threats to a Labour MP in which he told her she would “get it like Jo Cox”.

John Nimmo, 28, from South Shields, sent two emails to Luciana Berger where he told her to “watch your back Jewish scum”. The second message to the 35-year-old MP for Wavertree, who is running to become mayor of Liverpool, also included a picture of a large knife.

The messages came just three weeks after MP Jo Cox died after being shot and stabbed following a constituency meeting.

Nimmo was previously jailed in 2014 for eight weeks for sending abusive messages on Twitter to feminist campaigner Caroline Criado-Perez and MP Stella Creasy.

His first message made reference to Joshua Bonehill-Paine, who had been charged with a racially or religiously aggravated hate crime against Berger.

Sent at 7.54pm on 6 July, it said: “Justice for Joshua Bonehill-Paine will be sweet, he has friends everywhere. Watch your back Jewish scum, regards your friend the Nazi.”

He then followed it up two days later with: “You will get it like Jo Cox did, you better watch your back Jewish scum” just as Berger was leaving her office in the early evening.

South Tyneside magistrates court heard a statement from the former shadow minister for mental health in which she said it had caused her “great fear and anguish”. She said the incident had left her in a state of “huge distress” and “it caused me to feel physically sick, being threatened in such a way.

“I was extremely concerned for my safety and I felt completely under threat. I had previously received antisemitic messages and threats but the reference to Jo Cox was terrifying,” she said. “The biggest concern was not knowing who this was, for all I knew the offender could have resided next door to me.”

Glenda Beck, prosecuting, told the court that Nimmo had been on bail at the time for emailing Tell MAMA, a group that supports victims of anti-Muslim hate, saying he would burn down a mosque.

Chairman of the bench Ian Alexander told him that the seriousness of the offences meant they would send it to crown court for sentencing.

Along with Isabella Sorley, Nimmo previously pleaded guilty at Westminster magistrates court in 2014 to abusing Criado-Perez and Creasy. The abuse came after Criado-Perez led a campaign using social media for a female figure to appear on a Bank of England note. It included Nimmo telling Criado-Perez to “shut up” and made references to rape, followed by: “I will find you (smiley face)”.

Paul Kennedy, for the defence, had argued for a suspended sentence, saying “he says these things for attention”.

“He does not desire to carry out these threats,” he said. He previously admitted two charges of sending malicious communications to Berger and the case will next be heard at Newcastle crown court in August.

Nimmo was remanded in custody.

The Guardian

MM

Michael McDougall was convicted of blasting popular Tipu Sultan to death from point-blank range with a sawn-off shotgun at his shop in South Shields

Gunned down Tipu Sultan’s murderer must serve at least 34 years behind bars after a jury convicted him of killing the popular takeaway boss.

Michael McDougall blasted the 32-year-old dad-of-two in the neck from point-blank range with a sawn-off shotgun at his shop in South Shields, in front of his dad.

A jury at Newcastle Crown Court on Tuesday found McDougall guilty of murder, while co-accused Michael Mullen was cleared of murder but convicted of manslaughter.

McDougall was jailed for life with a minimum of 34 years, while Mullen was locked up for 12 years.

McDougall, 47, was told by trial judge Mrs Justice Thirwall to stop shaking his head at the jury after they convicted him.

And after finding out he will be an old man before he has any chance of freedom, the remorseless killer asked the judge: “Can you not suspend mine for 12 months please?”

Sentencing him, Mrs Justice Thirlwall said: “In early April last year you got hold of a sawn-off shotgun and you were going to use it to kill a man.

“What reason you had for that, I don’t know, I doubt you will ever say. You planned the killing and recruited Mullen as your getaway driver.

“The killing took place at 10pm. Very young teenagers were out playing, a lot on their bikes, playing team tig. Some were scarcely feet away.

“What they witnessed will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

“He had no prospect of withstanding that lethal attack. He died at the scene. His father, who was standing close to his son when he was shot, witnessed his killing.

“No words can adequately describe the terror and horror he experienced.”

The judge said Mullen was recruited as getaway driver by older, more heavily convicted criminal, McDougall, for what he thought was a robbery and was unaware McDougall was armed with a shotgun.

The judge told Mullen: “You did not intend Tipu Sultan to be shot and killed or caused any serious injury and you believed you were assisting a violent criminal in the commission of a robbery.”

Tipu was cleaning at his Herbs and Spice shop in South Shields when his killer came to the back door one night last April.

No clear motive for the attack had been established but prosecutors said it had the hallmarks of a targeted killing.

Mahsum Sultan, Tipi’s brother, read a victim impact statement to the court on behalf of the family.

He said: “The violent way Tipu was taken away from us has changed our lives beyond recognition.

“Our family is now broken and the pain felt by his loss can’t be put into words.

“No children should ever lose their father at the age of seven and two years old.

“Tipu’s death has put a great emotional strain on our family.

“Our parents no longer sleep properly, Tipu is constantly on their minds.

“My father will never get over the trauma of his son being murdered in front of him but he carries on for the sake of his family.

“My family depended on Tipu for everything, my mother is now always anxious.

“Tipu was not only the provider for his family but the protector of his family and children.

“Tipu lived for his children and was a wonderful father. His daughter was his princess.

“Knowing Tipu will never see his children grow up is really hard to bear.”

McDougall, of Hylton Avenue, South Shields, was found guilty of murder and two counts of possessing a firearm with intent.

Mullen, 25, of Hawthorne Avenue, South Shields, was found not guilty of murder, guilty of manslaughter, not guilty of possessing a firearm with intent and not guilty of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

After the case, Mahsum added in a statement on behalf of the family: “We will always remember Tipu as the wonderful father, son, brother and husband he was.

“We all talk about Tipu to his children every day and they will always know how much he loved them and cared for them. It brings us all some happiness to be around the children who have their father’s looks and personality.

“As a family, we would all like to thank all the witnesses that have come forward in this case, in particular the young witnesses who gave evidence. We know this must have been very difficult for you all but we are hugely grateful for your contribution to today’s verdict.

“We have been praying for justice and today we welcome the outcome. It brings a small amount of closure and peace of mind to help us move on with our lives.”

Det Ch Insp John Bent said: “We are pleased with today’s verdict. These men will behind bars for a very long time for the cold and brutal murder of a much loved member of the community.

“Our thoughts remain with Tipu’s family at this time. I hope that today’s verdict brings some justice to them however they have lost a much loved brother, son, husband and father and they have to live with that for the rest of their lives.”

Supt Sarah Pitt added: “The tragic death of Tipu Sultan had a significant impact for the people of Sunderland and South Shields and the Bangladeshi community here. We work closely with our communities to ensure their concerns and issues are listened to and action taken to help reassure our residents.

“I want to thank the Bangladeshi community in Sunderland and South Shields for their dignity and patience throughout this investigation and I hope today’s outcome helps bring some solace and closure for them.”

Newcastle Chronicle

craig owens

Craig Owens was arrested at the EDL rally in South Shields

An EDL supporter has been fined after trying to charge at rival protesters at a South Tyneside rally.

Craig Owens repeatedly shouted ‘EDL’ at the group who were in South Shields to protest against a march by the right-wing English Defence League on August 31.

The 28-year-old was arrested as he ran towards them but continued to shout as he was being led away.

He pleaded guilty to using threatening words or behaviour at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court today.

Owens, of Bruce Crescent, Hartlepool, was fined £65 and ordered to pay £85 and a £20 victim surcharge.

Shields Gazette

Owens getting arrested

Owens getting arrested

Craig Owens also appears on this website here